Increasing exposure to space radiation means manned-flight = onlyProject Orion will work

Old March 16th 18, 09:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Increasing exposure to space radiation means manned-flight = onlyProject Orion will work

It's the only craft that can life enough weight to provide shielding for astronauts.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-space-...hazardous.html

Old March 16th 18, 12:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 2:14:04 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
It's the only craft that can life enough weight to provide shielding
for astronauts.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-space-...hazardous.html

I have seen earlier info on cosmic ray increase. Thanks, Rich, for
bringing this to my attention.

Interestingly, this may have significance right here on earth: the Little
Ice Age occurred during an extended quiet sun period. CERN has shown
that cosmic rays nucleate cloud formation and, as pointed out, the cosmic
ray intensity has increased 30% due to lessened solar wind. Are we in for
another extended period of global cooling? The LIA also had contributions
from major volcanic eruptions. It will be interesting to see just how
big an effect cosmic rays will have on cloud cover and global temperatures.
Old March 16th 18, 02:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 01:14:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

It's the only craft that can life enough weight to provide shielding for astronauts.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-space-...hazardous.html

If we don't have astronauts, we don't need shielding. We don't need
Orion.