Chandrayaan-I Spacecraft Loses Radio Contact (Forwarded)

Old August 29th 09, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.news
Andrew Yee[_1_]

Default Chandrayaan-I Spacecraft Loses Radio Contact (Forwarded)

Indian Space Research Organisation
Bangalore, India

August 29, 2009

Chandrayaan-I Spacecraft Loses Radio Contact

Radio contact with Chandrayaan-I spacecraft was abruptly lost at 0130 Hrs
(IST) on August 29, 2009 [2000 UTC August 28]. Deep Space Network at Byalalu
near Bangalore received the data from Chandrayaan-I during the previous
orbit upto 0025 Hrs (IST) [1855 UTC August 28].

Detailed review of the Telemetry data received from the spacecraft is in
progress and health of the spacecraft subsystems is being analysed.

It may be recalled that Chandrayaan-I spacecraft was launched from Satish
Dhawan Space Centre Sriharikota on October 22, 2008. The Spacecraft has
completed 312 days in orbit making more than 3400 orbits around the Moon and
providing large volume of data from sophisticated sensors like Terrain
Mapping Camera, Hyper-spectral Imager, Moon Mineralogy Mapper etc., meeting
most of the scientific objectives of the mission.