newbie homebuilt distortion

Old September 14th 06, 03:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default newbie homebuilt distortion

I recently built my first homebuilt in probably 40 years, a simple
Dobsonian with (for now) a 8" mirror I bought from Sylvan on eBay. The
scope seems good on focusing on near objects and does a beautiful image
on the moon, but in looking at say Jupiter tonite I get an odd
distortion. The viewed image at its smallest and brightest is nowhere
near round. It looks like a weird scrunched up bowtie. One side is
much larger. Focus either way and it goes to a dimmer circle like I
would expect for out of focus.
I read somewhere where some of the mirrors from this source were not
the right grind - spherical instead of parabolic or vice versa. This
mirror turned out to have a focal length of 23.5 inches (shorter than
advertised). I have another larger mirror from them (a 10") and its
exactly the focal length they advertised... (dont have it in front of
me but its 40 something). I have not built a mounting for the larger
mirror yet, kinda wanting to figure out whats wrong with this before I
dive in deeper.

Any ideas?

Old September 14th 06, 04:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

Yep, that has been found in LOTS of their mirrors. Only thing I know of is
to regrind it after removing the coating and get it to meet parbloic shape.
You'll have to figure if you want a slow one (like my f8 Babylon 8) or a
faster f5 one.

Or reurn it and get your money back.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

oups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 04:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Thanks for the quick reply

So I take it my 'odd' distortion on distant objects is the mirror shape
then? Is there any easy way to tell if the larger mirror I have is the
right grind before I take time to make a mount for it and put it
together?

Old September 14th 06, 05:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon

wrote in news:1158202193.640794.266360
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

[...]

If the focal length is really 23.5", then for an 8" mirror that is an F
ratio of about 2.9, which will result in severe comma. If the mirror is
spherical then throw in severe spherical abberation as well.

Klazmon

Old September 14th 06, 05:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon

wrote in
ps.com:

Thanks for the quick reply

So I take it my 'odd' distortion on distant objects is the mirror shape
then? Is there any easy way to tell if the larger mirror I have is the
right grind before I take time to make a mount for it and put it
together?

You can use the knife edge test invented by Leon Foucault.

http://www.stellafane.com/atm/atm_fo...er_plans_1.htm

There is also the Ronchi test which is good for detecting a turned down
edge. Explore the above site for details.

Klazmon.

Old September 14th 06, 06:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

I would think you'd need the useage of a slit / Foucker tester, others will
know the right name, but you can set up the mirror and use the tester to get
an idea of your mirrors figure. I've got one, but due to living in a trailer
I've not had enough room to use it right.

Old September 15th 06, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
LarryG

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:49:53 -0500, wrote:

[...]

To summarize what others have pointed out individually,
the problem could be a number of things, or even a
combination of them:

1. Poorly figured mirror (f/3 is difficult, and you won't
find a good & cheap one anyplace but an estate sale.)
2. Coma and/or astigmatism. Common in fast (low f/number)
mirrors.
3. Pinched/strained optics. VERY LIKELY. You didn't say
how they were mounted. And this tends to produce non-
symmetrical images.
4. Other possibilities:
- defective diagonal
- poor collimation (also VERY LIKELY)
- wrong choice of eyepiece for fast (f/3) system
- defective eyepiece
- defects in the eye

Hope this helps.
Larry G.