OT heartbreak

Old October 14th 09, 10:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Blackall

Default OT heartbreak

In article , David Staup
wrote:
The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

Note this is a least a second-hand request.

Riley Philpot is a 9 year old little girl who has been battling a rare
form of cancer since she was 6. Her cancer has returned and she is
currently in the hospital. Make A Wish Foundation was contacted and
Riley's wish was not a trip to Disney World. It is to have the mailman
dump a bag of "a million" Get Well cards at her door when she returns!!
Please take the time to send a Get Well card to Riley. Thank you so
much!

[Snip]
Such schemes were amongst the first internet spams. Send a card only if you
know her.

And please keep her in your prayers as well.

Now THAT is much more likely to do her good!

--
Rodney Blackall (retired meteorologist)(BSc, FRMetS)
Buckingham, ENGLAND

Old October 15th 09, 01:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

"Rodney Blackall" wrote in message
In article , David Staup
wrote:
[...]

I feel sorry for someone who see "schemes" everywhere
a card sent without a return address profits how?

I will pray for god to open your heart

Old October 15th 09, 03:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

wrote:
[...]

Rodney,

I spent a month in England,, worked in Horsham and stayed in London..took
the train back and forth five days a week...when I tell people about my trip
I always comment on how nice, caring, and civilized everyone was to me...so
I couldn't figure out your responce to this....but now I think I see.... a
meteorologist in England must have to be a bitter person ...how sad

Old October 15th 09, 02:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Walker[_2_]

David Staup wrote [to Rodney]:
I couldn't figure out your responce to this....but now I think I see.... a
meteorologist in England must have to be a bitter person ...how sad

You are probably aware of the story of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".
Before taking it out further on Rodney, try googling for Craig Shergold;
there is a summary at "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Shergold". Those
who were around at the time received *dozens* of heart-breaking e-mails on
behalf of Craig and other similar cases, including circulars within many
organisations, and it took years for them to stop.

Riley Philpot may very well be a genuine case, unlike the many
famous and wealthy Nigerians who seem to need my help disposing of very
large sums of money; but she really, really, whether she knows it or not,
doesn't want millions of cards over the next year or three, totally
swamping any other mail she and her family may receive until they give up
and move. Good luck to her anyway; but she has enough to cope with.

--
Andy Walker
Nottingham
Old October 16th 09, 06:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Roger Hunt

David Staup wrote
"Rodney Blackall" wrote in message
.. .
In article , David Staup
wrote:
[...]

I prefer to put the price of card and stamp into a Cancer Research
charity collection tin.
Just imagine how much good a million times that sum could do, rather
than a mountain of cards which are of no practical use whatsoever.
--
Roger Hunt
Old October 16th 09, 08:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Chris.B[_2_]

On Oct 16, 7:21*am, Roger Hunt wrote:

I prefer to put the price of card and stamp into a Cancer Research
charity collection tin.
Just imagine how much good a million times that sum could do, rather
than a mountain of cards which are of no practical use whatsoever.
--
Roger Hunt

Amen! Let the real doctors have a real chance to cure the suffering
of millions before one priest gets a chance to kill one sick child.
You'd think with each new iteration of religion that they would
improve their usefulness for the majority. All they ever offer is pain
and suffering if you don't believe. And grinding poverty of the
intellect if you do. Religion is a human reaction to having too small
a mind to cope with the size and complexity of our universe. Or even
our own despoiled world. The bible is the village mentality written
down for pedants. Not one second in everlasting torment would have
been be wasted, in your vision of hell, if it left my mind unscathed
by your dangerous, superstitious nonsense. Religion offers no filter
or instrument which aids vision or understanding of anything but the
crippled inadequacy of the average human mind to cope with the very
ordinary.

Better dead than a bible read.
Old October 16th 09, 01:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Steve Paul[_2_]

Chris.B wrote:
[...]

I could just as easily say that it takes a large, open mind to suspend
disbelief, ignore the blatant violations of human rights and the laws of
physics, and process enough of scripture to see that there is a lot of good
and moral teaching in it (no matter what religion).

But I won't. :-)

Just like brushing away sand in search of evidence of the physical, one must
brush away the inadequaciesof scripture, to see evidence of the spiritual.
In either case, one first has to _want_ to find it.

There are two kinds of people in this world (yeah, that's right, just two
snerk), those who see the good, and those who see the bad. The Fransican's
say, "Better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness."

We accomplish more in the next generation by our example, than we do by all
of our chest thumping. My example to my kids is not to eviscerate their
beliefs, but to encourage the consideration of other possibilities.

In spite of the existence or non-existence of some divine source of the
universe or multiverse, it is men that are evil, and men that are good, and
the gods they imagine, are are a reflection of who they are.

My god is good, and kick's ass whenever someone's bad god appears. I know
this to be true, because I haven't killed anyone yet. ;-)

---
Steve Paul

Old October 16th 09, 01:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Roger Hunt

Steve Paul wrote
Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Sometimes one becomes aware of the Spiritual without a prior want.
It can be a stormy time.
There are two kinds of people in this world (yeah, that's right, just two
snerk), those who see the good, and those who see the bad. The Fransican's
say, "Better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness."

We accomplish more in the next generation by our example, than we do by all
of our chest thumping. My example to my kids is not to eviscerate their
beliefs, but to encourage the consideration of other possibilities.

In spite of the existence or non-existence of some divine source of the
universe or multiverse, it is men that are evil, and men that are good, and
the gods they imagine, are are a reflection of who they are.

My god is good, and kick's ass whenever someone's bad god appears. I know
this to be true, because I haven't killed anyone yet. ;-)

Quite. Faith needs no religion as a vehicle.
--
Roger Hunt
Old October 16th 09, 01:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Chris.B[_2_]

There is only one universal rule I might commend to mankind before
leaving:

Treat others as you would treat yourself.

It takes care of absolutely everything except masochists. :-)

I'm not holding my breath. (for anyone)
Old October 16th 09, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 05:59:48 -0700 (PDT), Chris.B wrote:

There is only one universal rule I might commend to mankind before
leaving:

Treat others as you would treat yourself.

It takes care of absolutely everything except masochists. :-)

And something very similar is preached by most, if not all,
religions.

Pity none appear to practice what they preach.

--
Cheers
Dave.