Amazon (and Ebay?) flooded with unsafe eclipse viewers?

Old August 14th 17, 04:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Amazon (and Ebay?) flooded with unsafe eclipse viewers?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

Old August 14th 17, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:56:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

Welcome to the world of unregulated capitalism!
Old August 14th 17, 11:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

Welcome to the world of unregulated capitalism!

Except they all (except for the application-specific Baader) no doubt came from CHINA where myriad dangerous products have originated.
Old August 14th 17, 11:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

Welcome to the world of unregulated capitalism!

Except they all (except for the application-specific Baader) no doubt came from CHINA where myriad dangerous products have originated.

China is the most unregulated, most capitalistic nation on Earth.
Old August 15th 17, 12:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!
Old August 15th 17, 05:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for
eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a
candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!

For the first solar eclipse I can remember my teacher gave every pupil a
piece of blotting paper with a needle hole in it. We watched the eclipse
through the hole.
For the next eclipse the teacher (not the same one) gave us all folded
black and white film negatives.

Old August 15th 17, 06:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:41:43 AM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:
StarDust
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for
eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a
candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!

For the first solar eclipse I can remember my teacher gave every pupil a
piece of blotting paper with a needle hole in it. We watched the eclipse
through the hole.
For the next eclipse the teacher (not the same one) gave us all folded
black and white film negatives.

I bet , was not certified by OSA, CE, government and CIA and still worked? (o:
Old August 16th 17, 04:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 12:41:43 UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
StarDust wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for
eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a
candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!

For the first solar eclipse I can remember my teacher gave every pupil a
piece of blotting paper with a needle hole in it. We watched the eclipse
through the hole.
For the next eclipse the teacher (not the same one) gave us all folded
black and white film negatives.

Fully exposed (blackened) black and white (as opposed to colour) film negatives are a safe viewing device, apparently. No, chromogenic black and white aren't suitable.

Old August 16th 17, 08:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

StarDust wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for
eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a
candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!

For the first solar eclipse I can remember my teacher gave every pupil a
piece of blotting paper with a needle hole in it. We watched the eclipse
through the hole.
For the next eclipse the teacher (not the same one) gave us all folded
black and white film negatives.

Fully exposed (blackened) black and white (as opposed to colour) film negatives are a safe viewing device, apparently. No, chromogenic black and white aren't suitable.

Unexposed slide film is particularly dangerous as it can lower the
visible light to an almost comfortable level but lets through dangerous
amounts of near infra red. If you ever have a strip of the stuff it is
interesting to look through it at the natural world around you. When the
eye has dark adapted sufficiently after a minute or two the colour
vision slowly returns but with additional sensitivity in the near IR.

There are no pain receptors in the back of the eye so it doesn't hurt at
the time - only ~6 hours later. Crescent shaped eclipse retinal burns.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 16th 17, 08:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 8:29:07 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
[...]

But, what can you see with it?
Use to have a small welding mask, used that once or twice for eclipse viewing, it was pretty good.

Amazon rocks. Double-A[_4_] Misc 3 October 28th 14 12:08 AM
Way OT...Jamestown gets flooded. Pat Flannery Policy 4 July 28th 08 08:18 PM
Way OT...Jamestown gets flooded. Pat Flannery History 6 July 28th 08 08:18 PM
What Amazon doesn't want you to know. Margaret Shiels UK Astronomy 5 November 13th 05 07:35 PM
"Old, unsafe and costly" - The Economist on the shuttle stmx3 Space Shuttle 11 September 8th 03 02:39 PM