Magnitude of 6/3/04 Seattle fireball?

Old June 20th 04, 05:13 AM
digitalhillbilly

Default Magnitude of 6/3/04 Seattle fireball?

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any here knew or heard an estimated magnitude of
explosion from the June 3/04 fireball over Washiongton state. The only
'data' collected on it (as far as i know) is a video from Courtney, BC,
Canada (a very nice little place) and seismic reports.

Excperpt and video link from www.spaceweather.com:

SEATTLE FIREBALL: Shortly before 3 o'clock in the morning on June 3rd,
a fabulous meteor streaked over Washington State. It was so bright (at
least 500 times brighter than a full moon by some accounts) that Ed
Majden was able to photograph it from Vancouver Island in
Canada--nearly over the horizon.

"The flash was spectacular," says Majden. "Too bad it wasn't higher
from my vantage point. I made this movie using a convex
Sandia All-sky camera in my backyard in Courtenay, BC." Majden's
observatory is part of the Sandia Bolide Detection Network. He adds:
"Our other west coast all-sky sites were off line for various reasons.
This is the only all-sky recording of the fireball we are aware of."

Meteorite-chaser Rob Matson has used Majden's video, along with eye
witness accounts and seismic recordings to calculate the fireball's
trajectory. "A small team is on the ground now looking for meteorites,"
says Matson.

video:
http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather...4b/Majden1.avi

Can the magnitude of the explosion be found from this (somewhat of
course)? I guess it would be a range graphed maybe like a cone? Maybe
not if you also include the range of possible velovities. I don't know -
thats why I'm asking. I'm curious because I'm assuming it was quite
large. I didn't notice it in my comatose state of sleep but my
neighbours were awoken by it here in Vancouver, BC. They say it was a
deep rumble but quite loud and saw the flash aswell. This is possibly
hundreds of km away. Any takers?

jt.