ASTRO: Arp 243

Old August 30th 09, 04:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 243

Arp 243, aka NGC 2623 is thought to be the result of a merger of two or
maybe three galaxies. Arp however classes it under "Galaxies (not
classifiable as S or E): Appearance of fission. Fission is the
splitting of an object while fusion is the joining. So if mainstream
science is right he has this exactly backwards though he is talking
about appearance not necessarily what's really going on. He does think
disturbed galaxies like this one eject objects, especially quasars. To
him quasars are nearby objects ejected from disturbed galaxies and the
red shift somehow relates to their age of creation. Something about
electrons gaining mass through "communication" with the rest of the
universe. He actually puts it in science terms that takes him out of
the total crackpot class but it did help cost him his access to the 200"
scope and sent him packing to Europe when his ideas seemed a bit more
accepted. To him low mass electrons would show spectral lines with less
energy than those created at the time of the Big Bang (another concept
he doesn't accept the same way as other astronomers). Thus the lines
appear red shifted same as they would due to distance. Since electrons
can be created in atom smashers and those show no hint of low mass his
theories don't get much attention though he claims such electrons, being
created from "old" protons colliding, this is to be expected, it is only
those created out of pure energy that somehow isn't tainted by "old
mass" that would show this effect. OK maybe he is a crackpot. Anyway
this idea of galaxies ejecting things, especially disturbed ones, does
add to his fission classification.

NED classes it as simply Pec; LINER, LIRG Seyfert 2. Meaning its core
is very active. Problem is it has no central core that anyone can
identify. Seems it hasn't settled down enough from the merger(s) for
one to fully develop. Normally I see LINER and Seyfert 2 galaxies but
it is one or the other. Sometimes papers argue over which it is. Here
we have both. Again, an indication of an, as yet, incomplete merger?
My guess anyway. Notes at NED are interesting here. One says: "NGC
2623 (Arp 243), appearing eighth in the Toomre sequence, is, like Arp
220, a superluminous IRAS galaxy, and is also very bright in the radio.
Very long tails are visible but the central masses have become
indistinguishable. Only one true nucleus is thought to exist."

Another: "NGC 2623 is a well-studied triple system included in Arp's
atlas of peculiar galaxies (Arp 1966). Bright tidal tails are observed
in both the optical and near-infrared; these tails suggest that a merger
has occurred. The parent nuclei have not been resolved in either the
radio or near-infrared."

A final note: "NGC 2623 NGC 2623 is a nearly completed merger showing an
r^1/4^ profile at K band (Wright et al. 1990; Stanford & Bushouse 1991;
Chitre & Jog 2002) and two long tidal tails."

There seems a bit of a discrepancy as to its distance. It's red shift
would indicate a distance of about 260 million light-years. But in 1999
a type 1a super nova was seen in this galaxy, SN 1999gd. These are
considered a "standard candle" for estimating distance as it is thought
astronomers have a good handle on how to determine their true
brightness. Since they are thought to be triggered when a white dwarf
star steals enough matter from a companion until the star's mass hits a
critical mass triggering the explosion, they all should have about the
same brightness. There's some variation due to the "metal" content and
other factors such as rotation rate of the star but this is rather
easily handled. Using SN 1999gd as a reference the galaxy is further
away than its red shift would indicate, about 332 million light-years.
A rather large difference. The field has a smattering of distant
galaxies and one galaxy cluster toward the east side that shows as a
group of tiny orange ovals arranged at various angles way behind a few
blue foreground stars. It is MaxBCG J129.83536+25.77318 and is about
2.8 billion light years distant. It is listed as having 17 members,
though I see more than that. The MaxBCG catalog contains some 13,800
galaxy clusters found on analysis of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey data.
They combed the data for galaxies with the same red color in a small
area. It is thought to be fairly accurate at finding clusters as
intergalactic reddening should be rather consistent over a small area of
sky. Thus a lot of galaxies with the same reddening are likely at the
same distance thus indicating a true cluster.

The only other galaxy of any angular size in the image is the large red
elliptical north east of Arp 234. It is 2MASX J08383858+2550212 at 1.1
billion light-years. Nearly all the other galaxies in the image I could
find data on are at least that distant. There is one lonely quasar at a
bit over 10 billion light years in the image shining like one of many
dim blue stars in the image. I mention it as Arp thinks way too mamy
quasars are found around his disturbed galaxies. Though in his theory
those near the galaxy have a large red shift and those further are older
and thus the electrons more massive and thus they show a lower red
shift. Since none of those he cited originally have a red shift even
half of this one and it isn't all that close to the galaxy it just
doesn't fit his theory. To find it follow the line of the lower right
tidal arm past a small vertical lenticular galaxy. It is the first
nearly 19th magnitude blue star after that. A bit right and up from a
brighter blue star.

Arp 234 is located in Cancer. The image was taken November 26, 2008.

Arp's excellent image of this galaxy is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp243.jpeg
SDSS image:
http://astronomerica.awardspace.com/SDSS-17/NGC2623.php

While Hubble has imaged this galaxy, no cleaned up color image of it has
been released that I could find. So I went into their data base, found
filtered images that could make a fairly good color image and made my
own. It was exposed for the core, the tidal wings were severely under
exposed so I only used the high resolution WFPC 2 small chip for this
image. It is a bit reduced from the original 800x800 image, mostly due
to my cropping it but I did reduce it about 10% as well to hide some
cosmetic defects thanks to cosmic rays that I couldn't clone out without
making it obvious. Still I think it shows the core region very well.
It is oriented north up same as my image so you should be able to at
least recognize major features in my image. Due to the filters not being
true RGB filters it is way too blue, I just didn't have red and green
data that I could manipulate to give a "true color" image. The images
weren't taken to create a true color image and not knowing the shape of
each filter's skirts after a lot of trial and error, mostly the latter,
this is the best I could do.

My image data:
14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP243L5X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	2584  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hubblearp243.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2585