Decision time.... Europa 200 w/HEQ5 or Explorer 200 w/HEQ5

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 27th 04, 02:54 PM
Colin Johnson

Default Decision time.... Europa 200 w/HEQ5 or Explorer 200 w/HEQ5

I'm looking at either of those two scopes now... and I'm in something
of a bind. I've decided that I want 8", and the HEQ5 mount rather than
the EQ5 (which I hear is borderline for an 8", plus the motors and
built-in polar alignment scope seem like a good bet). I have found a
shop that has the Europa 200 1200 mm, with HEQ5 mount, Hilux coating,
2" focuser upgrade and 9x50 finder for a grand total of... well..
nearly a grand (£874), and already on order for the middle of May.
That'd come with two Plossi eyepieces (25mm and 10 or 9 mm).

I could also get the Explorer for substantially less (£580). It'd come
with just the one 28mm eyepiece, so I'd probably buy a 10mm and
perhaps a 2x Barlow. Lead time on that is unknown though. We're
looking at probably £650-80 here I suspect.

Any advice as to whether paying the extra £200 for the Orion would be
worth it, given the Hilux coating and 2" focuser? Or would I be happy
with the Skywatcher? This hobby that I'm embarking on is getting
pricey :-O