ASTRO: HorsHead reprocessed

Old January 25th 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Fabio

Default ASTRO: HorsHead reprocessed

HI to all,

here is an Horshead taken in the night between 26/12/06 and 2712/06. I
reprocessed the image that is present on my
website....

I like more this one respect
http://www.fabioh2o.it/Images/DeepSky/deep43.htm

Regards

Fabio Acquarone
Website: http://www.fabioh2o.it
Email :

Old January 26th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Fabio wrote:
HI to all,

here is an Horshead taken in the night between 26/12/06 and 2712/06. I
reprocessed the image that is present on my
website....

I like more this one respect
http://www.fabioh2o.it/Images/DeepSky/deep43.htm

Regards

It's hard to say which I like better. They are both good shots of a
difficult target.

To me the website version has better color, this one goes deeper with
the detail easier to see. I've been fighting the same problem. Not
using a one shot color camera I don't know if you can do what I've been
doing of late to solve it. I've been pushing the luminosity image hard
to bring out detail and faint features but, when combined with a normal
RGB, gives me a version like this one of the horsehead, good detail with
weak color. Up the saturation and the colors look horrible so I ended
up with weak color but good detail. Lately I process the RGB to way too
strong of color, balancing the background to gray where it really is
neutral gray. Colors stay correct, just way too strong. Then when I
combine that with the highly processed luminosity image the color fades
to normal levels. If I miss and the colors are still weak I adjust the
RGB and try again. If the difference is close then I can adjust the
saturation on the LRGB. If I push saturation of the LRGB very much at
all it quickly goes to dayglo grotesque colors. Reducing saturation
causes no problems however. I have to do the pushing at the RGB level.
Then that doesn't happen. I don't know if you can do something
similar with one shot processing having never done any. I'm sure there
are better solutions, this is the one I've found to work for my
beginning ways. I find the final product less grainy but just as
detailed if I do a 1.5 to 2 pixel Gaussian blur to the RGB before
combining. I forgot that step in my M81 shot and it shows. Might not
be important in one shot color where the color data is exposed the same
time as the Luminosity. In my case I use half the time for the RGB data
so it is noisier than the luminosity data. Blurring the RGB gets rid of
that without hurting the final resolution that I can see. I'm sure the
experts are cringing about now however.

Rick