eclipse...again

Old October 5th 05, 03:41 PM
devilgas

Default eclipse...again

bit late to this i know, but just got back from spain. ;-)
flew into thick cloud in valencia on sunday fully expecting a no show on
monday. woke up nice and early at our friends (cheers guys!!!) house (40km
south of valencia and literally about 2-4 miles from the very centre of the
path) to find a few wispy clouds that lingered for all of 30 mins and then
perfectly clear blue skies for the rest of the day. took enough solar
glasses for everyone who turned up for the spectacle to see. also showed the
projection technique and pointed out the shadows cast by trees etc. had 2
cameras set up (not looked at the photos properly yet), one 'tracking' the
other fixed. got a bit interesting as the alcohol took effect but a cracking
day was had by all.

will try and get some photos onto the www a little later.

Old October 5th 05, 06:34 PM
devilgas

5 min interval 900k animation available on this link....

http://www.devilgas.com/astro/annula...2005-10-03.gif

Old October 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:34:43 GMT, "devilgas"
wrote:

5 min interval 900k animation available on this link....

http://www.devilgas.com/astro/annula...2005-10-03.gif

That'a a fantastic animation but it would be better without the
watermark across the middle of the Sun.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old October 5th 05, 10:17 PM
devilgas

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message

That'a a fantastic animation but it would be better without the
watermark across the middle of the Sun.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

a necessary evil i'm afraid pete. i get fed up of stuff of mine appearing in
places where it shouldn't and 'ownership' mysteriously changing.

Old October 5th 05, 10:21 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:17:05 GMT, "devilgas"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .

That'a a fantastic animation but it would be better without the
watermark across the middle of the Sun.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

a necessary evil i'm afraid pete. i get fed up of stuff of mine appearing in
places where it shouldn't and 'ownership' mysteriously changing.

Really!? Blimey, that's never happened to me (as far as I'm aware!).
Very naughty indeed.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old October 5th 05, 11:27 PM
devilgas

and the 10 min sequence from the 2nd camera....

http://www.devilgas.com/astro/annula...2005-10-03.jpg

sequence was started at first contact rather than from a calculation of when
the perfect annulus would be seen. consequently, the sequence is 'out' by
about 2 mins (should've started it 2 mins earlier than i did). didn't think
it was too bad for a first attempt though.
got pretty lucky with the lens coverage. widest i had was the 28-200 zoom.
hadn't calculated anything to do with frame coverage etc etc. what is seen
above is literally just a resized version of the original. no cropping etc
etc.

in retrospect, i should've shot these every 5 mins, but you live and learn.
i was just happy it wasn't all cloud as it was on the sunday......

Old October 5th 05, 11:37 PM
devilgas

news
wrote:

Really!? Blimey, that's never happened to me (as far as I'm aware!).
Very naughty indeed.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

dealing with media / press on a regular basis you get to appreciate the
value of anything posted on the www. when you see your work being passed off
as belonging to others or without credit it tends to put you on the
defensive immediately.