Did Titan Land in a River Bed?

Old January 15th 05, 07:50 PM
Ken

Default Did Titan Land in a River Bed?

these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

Old January 15th 05, 08:08 PM
Michael McCulloch

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:50:41 -0600, "Ken" wrote:

these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

How so? It could just as easily be random image noise. Is there
something specific you see that unequivocally suggests flowing liquid?

---
Michael McCulloch
Old January 15th 05, 08:11 PM
Ken

Well, I tend to see a lot more "random image noise" in certain areas. I
know, I know, it's probably not liquid, but the area farther away from the
craft seems a lot more "stable".

Old January 15th 05, 08:11 PM
md

"Ken" wrote in message ...
these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

uh, Titan did not land anywhere. ;-)

Old January 15th 05, 08:14 PM
Ken

Sorry . . . Huygens. LOL!

Old January 15th 05, 08:16 PM
Scott M. Kozel

"Ken" wrote:

these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

Is this satire or is this for real? :-)
Old January 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Michael McCulloch

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:11:08 -0600, "Ken" wrote:

Well, I tend to see a lot more "random image noise" in certain areas. I
know, I know, it's probably not liquid, but the area farther away from the
craft seems a lot more "stable".

Ok, I do see that. Those couple of rocks in the foreground that would
possibly be sticking up out the supposed liquid also don't seem to
"flicker" as much.

Tidal drainage? ;-)

---
Michael McCulloch
Old January 15th 05, 08:22 PM
Sam Wormley

md wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message ...

these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

uh, Titan did not land anywhere. ;-)

It's all relative. :-)

Old January 16th 05, 12:00 AM
RichA

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:50:41 -0600, "Ken" wrote:

these images look like liquid running by the landing site.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-05m1.html

The blurring in the upper part of the "river" almost makes it
look like that. If they improve the images to get rid of
some of the compression artifacts (if possible) it may prove
it out.
-Rich
Old January 16th 05, 12:04 AM
OG

"Michael McCulloch" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:11:08 -0600, "Ken" wrote:

Well, I tend to see a lot more "random image noise" in certain areas.

know, I know, it's probably not liquid, but the area farther away

from the
craft seems a lot more "stable".

Ok, I do see that. Those couple of rocks in the foreground that would
possibly be sticking up out the supposed liquid also don't seem to
"flicker" as much.

Tidal drainage? ;-)

If you look at the top of the image, there appears to be a 'flow' from
right to left, which seems to share the same movement as the 'liquid'
elsewhere in the image.

It would be fascinating if it was shown to be a true flow, but I suspect
it's really due to artifacts.

But brilliant all the same. And aren't we just the luckiest of folks,
having all this available over the internet so soon after the mission.
Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved!