Message to aliens

Old March 24th 12, 12:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
metspitzer

Default Message to aliens

Alien Encounter "The Message" is a 2012 Science Channel Show.
Part of the show reports on the message that was put aboard the
Voyager spacecraft.

The message was recorded in many languages. Does this seem like the
best way to communicate with another world? If you were trying to
communicate with someone that does not speak your language, would
using more that one language seem more likely to be understood than
using a single language?

Saying the same thing 50 different ways doesn't seem like the best way
to communicate.
Old March 24th 12, 04:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:07:44 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Alien Encounter "The Message" is a 2012 Science Channel Show.
Part of the show reports on the message that was put aboard the
Voyager spacecraft.

The message was recorded in many languages. Does this seem like the
best way to communicate with another world? If you were trying to
communicate with someone that does not speak your language, would
using more that one language seem more likely to be understood than
using a single language?

Saying the same thing 50 different ways doesn't seem like the best way
to communicate.

Well, it provides redundancy, as well as opening up different
cryptographic methods.

But really, the recording had nothing to do with communicating with
another world. It was a symbolic gesture for a device that would
ultimately leave our system. Much of the content was designed for its
significance to us (and our different cultures), not as a serious
attempt to communicate.
Old March 24th 12, 05:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I remember reading that Voyager 1, upon being successfully launched,
was instantly guaranteed to eventually become mankind's most ancient
artifact. I've always found this to be a fascinating thought.
Old March 24th 12, 06:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

artefact. I've always found this to be a fascinating thought.

Just pray that nothing brings it back before The USS Enterprise is
ready for service.
Old March 24th 12, 10:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Mar 24, 10:32*pm, Brad Guth wrote:

As far as I can tell, most ETs within DARPA and NASA are colorblind,
although having other superior capabilities that more than make up for
that genetic deficiency.

What an amazing claim! What evidence do you have to support such a
strange idea? Let alone support this unlikely abnormality? Do you have
such access to NASA and DARPA premises that the "ETs" who work there
freely share such confidences in the canteen? If, as you suggest,
"ETs" are working for NASA and DARPA then why the hell don't they
share their technology so that we might go and visit their homes? Your
claims are so full of holes that they totally undermine all your other
fantastic suggestions. Let's take the current example: Any species,
sufficiently developed to achieve interstellar travel, could modify
their DNA with both manipulative appendages behind whatever passes for
their backs. Colour blindness comes a long way down the "things I must
fix today" for an advanced, technological civilisation. Which they
must be, by default, to have reached the Earth, even from the nearest
star. It may be that we never meet a truly alien species. Only
ourselves returning from the future via some accidental time anomaly.
UFOs, ghosts etc. are all just as easily explained by time distortions
as they are by blaming ETs.
Old March 25th 12, 02:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:53:55 -0700 (PDT), "Chris.B"
wrote:

What an amazing claim!

This is one of Brad's less astonishing claims.

What evidence do you have to support such a
strange idea?

Evidence? Brad don't need no stinkin' evidence!
Old March 25th 12, 02:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:
What an amazing claim!

This is one of Brad's less astonishing claims.

What evidence do you have to support such a
strange idea?

Evidence? Brad don't need no stinkin' evidence!

Your lack of anything topic positive/constructive is noted. As per
usual, all that poop in your pants doesn't count.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#