Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

Old April 4th 04, 09:14 PM
JimO

Default Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

Volunteers are always needed to keep an ear on the voice comm between ISS
and Earth,
while you're on line doing something else -- and then can flash a message to
sci.space.station
(and if you're willing, an email to me directly, to joberg at houston dot rr
dot com) about
anything newsworthy or curious. I can follow up, make some calls, and work
through my
NBC clients.

You can get onto the streaming audio via
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/space/index.html
and find/select the option to listen to the space station audio channel.

There are a limited number of ports, so don't just leave it on and ignore
it, please.

But if you can help all of us keep getting real-time insight into what's
going on in space, the value to everyone will be enhanced. Thanks!

Jim O

Old April 5th 04, 08:08 AM
John Doe

JimO wrote:

Volunteers are always needed to keep an ear on the voice comm between ISS
and Earth,

So far this morning, the only "strange noises on ISS" I have heard is static.
No DPC yet.

Also, much of the juicy information is sent to the crews via the various
"forms" such as form 24 and the daily tasks lists, at least on the USA side.
The russian conversations seem a bit more candid, but for them, there is no
sense of panic if they hear a noise.

I think that the USA is acting somewhat like a backseat driver. They see/hear
stuff, but they can't do anything because the russians are at the wheel, and
the russians aren't panicking, while the USA is affraid it might be
serious/catastrophic/dangerous (like any good backseat driver would).

What should be asked of the russians is whether such sounds had been heard on
MIR as well.
Old April 5th 04, 08:26 AM
John Doe

John Doe wrote:
So far this morning, the only "strange noises on ISS" I have heard is static.
No DPC yet.

Spoke too soon. DPC at 04:10 EDT. But could only hear ISS, not MCC Houston. So
I only heard "Houston , Alpha, for the DPC" spoken by Foale. (The DPC is
usually all ground to ISS audio).

Many many many minutes later "Houston Alpha, Space to Ground 1". And no response.

They must have privatized the ground audio and forgotten to deprivatize it.
Old April 5th 04, 08:42 AM
John Doe

By 04:40 EDT, ground finally came on, explaining to crew that they had had
comms problems on the ground. So even the Alpha crew had not received any
message from houston.
Old April 6th 04, 07:03 PM
Derek Lyons

rk wrote:
Treating unexpected events as things to be understood is a good safety
practice. In fact, this issue is addressed in the CAIB report. It is also
addressed in the Diaz Report, number F41:

Anomalies are problems unless proven otherwise.

Nothing very profound, it restates good engineering safety practices.

It's also good engineering and operational practice to quantify if the
anomaly is a problem, a Problem, or a PROBLEM. Not all failures and
anomalies are created equal.

Running full tilt in circles looking for something when you don't know
what it is wastes time and energy that could be better spent
elsewhere. If you don't have an ongoing indication of a problem, you
can't fix it, and you probably can't even find it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old April 7th 04, 04:30 AM
Derek Lyons

jeff findley wrote:
(Derek Lyons) writes:

Running full tilt in circles looking for something when you don't know
what it is wastes time and energy that could be better spent
elsewhere. If you don't have an ongoing indication of a problem, you
can't fix it, and you probably can't even find it.

I had this problem with one of my old cars. It would occasionally
die, but then come back to life several minutes later. While this was
a Problem (as opposed to a problem or a PROBLEM), you simply couldn't
debug the issue until you could reproduce it on demand.

That's the part that hal keeps missing. If you can't reproduce the
problem, and there are no traces of the problem in your telemetry,
there is simply nothing you can do. The first step on the path of
operational wisdom is realizing this.

If you are going to do long duration missions, you simply must plan
on redundancy and on sometimes living with problems (as opposed to
Problems or PROBLEMS) for months on end. If your ship isn't robust
enough to do this, you have no business venturing beyond LEO.

Eventually, I found that rapping on the computer case with my fist
would cause the running car to stumble and die. A $40 junk yard
computer fixed the problem.

We had a few little 'p' problems on the boat exactly like that, so did
every boat in the Fleet. It's the nature of ongoing operations.

I'm guessing that ISS astronauts feel the same way about the Elektron
oxygen generator that I felt about my 88 Olds Calais. ;-)

I felt that way about some of the equipment I worked on. I learned to
never frown at it lest it's mood detector function.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old April 7th 04, 06:14 PM
bob haller

That's the part that hal keeps missing. If you can't reproduce the
problem, and there are no traces of the problem in your telemetry,
there is simply nothing you can do. The first step on the path of
operational wisdom is realizing thi

Ahh but it might be the beginning of a real killer PROBLEM!

Better to investigate unknown problems so you have some idea of whats up.

bang rush out to look today NO!

But if it occurs again dont wait till july to take a look
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 7th 04, 10:51 PM
Derek Lyons

rk wrote:
And I would add that precautions should be made for dealing with a problem if
it should perhaps have the capability to turn into a Problem. This can be
ensuring that backups are in place and operational, contingency procedures
reviewed, etc. Take the hint and do the homework.

Certainly. But the homework has to start at the design phase, not
once the craft is flying.

Panicking -- which I don't see evidence of here -- could easily just make
things worse. I don't see x-nauts diving into the Soyuz and flying around
burning the fuel, close to the station; I don't see x-nauts diving into EVA
suits and crawling all over the outside unprepared with the inherent risk of
EVAs; I don't see the ISS being abandoned. Etc.

You see folks (bob) advocating exactly that. It's them I'm trying to
reach, not you or Herb. (Who mostly know these things.)

When you have a problem, with a little 'p', sometimes it takes a bit of
patience, persistence, and some steel ones.

Been there, done that, washed the Tshirt so many times it's more holes
than shirt.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.