Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 4th 04, 02:00 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

Units of measure lack those advantages. You don't constantly exchange
yardsticks with others, so there is no requirement for all yardsticks to
be marked the same way. I buy lumber in English units (no, a 2x4 isn't
two inches by four inches, but it *is* eight feet long)

Actually even THIS is changing... you can buy 2x4 "studs". What? You
thought an 8' 2x4 WAS for a stud?

Oh no, now you can buy them 89" long. It's "quicker" (and actually saves
wood) since now you don't have trim them in order to make a standard 8'
wall.

and network cables
in metric, and the difference in units is a nuisance but not a disaster,
so the incentive for standardization is reduced -- witness all the funny
specialized units in use in various market niches (even in the most
thoroughly metric countries, you buy diamonds by the carat and set type
by the point). Similarly, there's no central group which has a hand in
everyone's use of units and hence can schedule a conversion and insist
that you participate.

And don't get me started on racks for computers. :-)

--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |

Old May 4th 04, 02:32 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
Trivia: the Harvard bridge is nowhere near the town of Harvard,
Massachusetts. The bridge crosses the Charles River, from Boston to
Cambridge not at Harvard University, but at MIT. You have to cross the
bridge and then drive through the MIT campus to reach Harvard Square.
(Additional trivial: you *can't* park you car in Harvard yard. This has
been illegal for many, many years.)

Heck, even where you CAN legally park it's pretty tough to find an empty
spot. :-)

(fwiw: I attended neither Harvard nor MIT.)

So fess up, where did you attend?

--
Kevin Willoughby lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins

Old May 4th 04, 02:49 AM
Neil Gerace

"Doug..." wrote in message

Exactly. I mean, we Americans could have sat around making fun of those
British who had a difficult time converting from Lsd currency to decimal
currency -- we've had decimal currency since the very beginning. But,
last I heard, not a single American I know ever drug the British over
the coals over that one.

Another benefit of decimal currency over Lsd (money, that is) is that
suddenly three quarters of the time spent in school on maths could be used
for something other than money sums.

rgds
Neil

Old May 4th 04, 02:54 AM
Neil Gerace

"Doug..." wrote in message

LOl, yeah -- just because I never heard it doesn't mean it didn't
happen. I can still remember seeing the commercials that were run
frequently during the changeover, though -- they were played in the U.S.
on news magazine shows to illustrate to us Americans what the U.K. was
going through. The jingle stayed with me becuase of the somewhat
inappropriate context that it had in America at the time:

The Australian one is part of cultural history, and one of the important
milestones in television, too. It was sung by a cartoon character called
Dollar Bill:

"In come the dollars, in come the cents
Out go the pounds and the shillings and the pence
So be prepared when the money starts to mix
On the fourteenth of February, nineteen sixty-six"

That's right people, Valentine's Day 1966. I wonder how many girls got new
decimal currency adding machines for a present?

I can just imagine some American hippies watching those ads and getting
ENTIRELY the wrong idea...

"Let's move to Canada, man. They got it in the stores!"

Old May 4th 04, 03:05 AM
Peter Stickney

Mary Shafer writes:
On Tue, 4 May 2004 00:15:04 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

For example, the relationship between liter and kilogram seems
wonderfully logical until you forget to take into account just under what
precise (and largely arbitrary) conditions a kilogram and a liter of water
can be considered equivalent.

Most normal situations. What about the relationship between the gallon and
the pound? And by the way, which gallon and which pound?

For everyday purposes, one gallon of water weighs eight pounds. This
is for the standard cooking gallon, measured in a marked cup, and
pound, measured on a scale. The corrections for temperature, etc, are
smaller than the tolerance in the measurements and this is appropriate
for situations using gallons.

Always figured it as 8.3, myself. Of course, I wasn't cooking, but
doing Percolation Tests in remote sites where you hiked in with the
water. (At that point, every 0.3 counts._)

And, of course, the truly important values - 6.0#/U.S. Gal. for
100/130, 6.5 #/USGal for JP-4, and 6.7#/USGal for JP-5.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 4th 04, 04:18 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message

Always figured it as 8.3, myself. Of course, I wasn't cooking, but
doing Percolation Tests in remote sites where you hiked in with the
water. (At that point, every 0.3 counts._)

Bah, at that point you separate your own water at home... remove that pesky
heavy water!

Old May 4th 04, 04:20 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message
. au...

Another benefit of decimal currency over Lsd (money, that is) is that
suddenly three quarters of the time spent in school on maths could be used
for something other than money sums.

That reminds me of a system we all use that's not base 10...

Time.

I mean come on... 24 hour days? 60 minutes to an hour... 60 seconds, but
powers of 10 for subsecond intervals.

Oh and 7 days in week?

Geesh, who thunk those up!

And you know what, we seem to manage for the most part.

rgds
Neil

Old May 4th 04, 04:21 AM
Kevin Willoughby

In article , "Greg D. Moore
\(Strider\)" says...
"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
(Additional trivial: you *can't* park you car in Harvard yard. This has
been illegal for many, many years.)

Heck, even where you CAN legally park it's pretty tough to find an empty
spot. :-)

Well, if you're willing to spend $20 for an evening, there are several
places to park. (Or if you have a girl friend who lives just north of
Harvard Square, you can borrow her space...)

Or, at the risk of being on-topic, there is an MIT parking garage just
around the corner from the Volpe building. That building (named after a
former governor and Secretary of Transportation) was originally the
proposed location for NASA's manned Mission Control. (At the time the
Mission Control decision was made, *our* President was no longer in
office.)

(fwiw: I attended neither Harvard nor MIT.)

So fess up, where did you attend?

Northeastern University, just a few blocks south of the Harvard bridge.

Old May 4th 04, 04:25 AM
David Lesher

I've seen no mention in this threat that the ISS is half metric/
half SAE.

--
A host is a host from coast to

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM