early morning galaxy hunting

Old November 14th 05, 02:41 AM

Default early morning galaxy hunting

This last Thursday - err, actually Friday morning,I was able to get
in some early morning galaxy hunting.

Another miserable stretch of cloudy weather this last new moon
period. Finally it was clear, though I had to wait until 1:30 am
for a rapidly fattening moon to set. I don't like the moon. Too bright.

Another long pedal, in the cold and dark, out the edge of town. Cold
weather really does take much of the pleasure out of observing.
It's hard to really enjoy what you're looking at, much less fully
concentrate, when you're being worked over by Jack Frost. It was around
freezing, with frost on the ground - not uber frigid like it will
be shortly where I live, but chilly enough. The fact I had no chair
didn't help either.

I warmed up by quickly checking out Mars and Saturn. The seeing was
not good. I've developed a taste for DSO stuff. I quickly checked
out Andromeda, M1, M36, M37, M38. I then revisited some of the
stuff in Monocerus I'd seen last time - M46, M47, M50, ngc 2343 &
2335.

At this point it was time to add some new stuff to the database
between-the-ears. I've been using the starry night software -
not so much because I enjoy looking at fake stars on a tricolor
phosphor monitor, but because the software is useful for seeing
what constellations are out, and for checking star formations to
use for star hopping.

Time to find some new stuff.

My first target was the constellation Leo. A new one to me. I like
Leo - an easy to locate constellation. Armed with my 40mm and 25mm
ep's (23x, 36x) it was time to do some galaxy hunting. Starting with
the star Chertan in the main Leo triangle, I was quickly able to
locate M65, M66. Five bright stars form a point with points almost
direcly to these galaxies. These two galaxies fit into the same
FOV in the 25mm ep, though they are not nearly as impressive as
M81, M82. Clearly visible though. Next I located ngc 2903, close to
the other end of Leo. Took me a bit longer, but I was able to locate
this galaxy without too much trouble. Nice eliptical. Creamy smooth.

Next on the agenda were M105, M95 & M96. There aren't as many bright
stars next to these galaxies, and my first couple of attempts to
locate them failed. So I waited for Leo to rise a bit. I spent
some time looking at the owl nebula. Finally, I was able to locate
this group of galaxies, all nearly in a row. Thing is, there were
four faint fuzzies - two faint ones right next to each other, and
a couple of brighter ones. It wasn't until I got home and consulted
the CN charts that I realized I must have been looking at ngc 3384 in
addition to the messiers.

Satisfied I moved on. Time to consult the CN mag 7 charts (something
not to enjoyable in the cold). Next I spent some time locating
M94 in Cannes Venatici. Easy to find. Heh, thing is I thought it was
a glob. cluster, and it wasn't until I got home that I realized it
was a galaxy. Such are the limitations of 90mm of aperture. I then
easily located M106 in the big dipper. Big, one of my favorites of
the night. While it was still low in the sky, I also got my first
look at M51 in the 90mm refractor. Again, big. Can't say I could see
much detail beyond its nucleus and its 'egg yolk' companion.
I took another stab trying to find M108 and M109, but simply could
not see them.

After this it was getting late, so I sighted on M81, M82 (already
familiar with these two), now high in the sky. After seeing all the
above galaxies I was even more impressed with these two. They
really are bright and lovely. M82 looked like more than just a streak
of light - there was some mottling apparent. M81 kept teasing me
with glimpses of extended detail - arms or a ring, especially using
averted vision - but nothing I could hold. I was impressed with its
size. I'm really starting to aperture fever I think.

At this point it was after 5:00 am... time to go.

So I found a lot of new stuff for me, even though it wasn't the most
pleasant observing experience. Looking forward to more fuzzy hunting
in Coma Berenices and Virgo.

I've become spoiled by somewhat dark skies. I used to be happy
observing from in town, but now that I realize how much more stuff
is plainly visible from a dark site it's impossible for me to go
back. Sigh. Need to get a car.

-Eric B

Old November 18th 05, 12:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Eric, absolutely wonderful report! Keep 'em coming. On cloudy, or
Moon-filled nights, reading such reports keeps the astro juices flowing.

You managed to see a lot with only 90mm! Just wait until you get a car
(and a 6 or 8" dob!). You'll be in DSO/galaxy heaven.

Just one minor correction, NGC 2903 is a spiral galaxy, not an
elliptical one! See, e.g.,

http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n2903.html

Your comment about how bright and interesting M81/82 were after looking
at fainter stuff is revealing... I always like to finish with some
brighter eye candy before trundling off to bed! The contrast--and ease
of view-- can be incredible.

Larry Stedman
Vestal
Old November 18th 05, 01:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Larry Stedman wrote:
Eric, absolutely wonderful report! Keep 'em coming. On cloudy, or
Moon-filled nights, reading such reports keeps the astro juices flowing.

Thanks for the compliment!

You managed to see a lot with only 90mm! Just wait until you get a car
(and a 6 or 8" dob!). You'll be in DSO/galaxy heaven.

Yeah... I'm thinking of some sort of portable dob in the 10-12" range.
Something that collapses. Heh, of course a car would be useful too.

Just one minor correction, NGC 2903 is a spiral galaxy, not an
elliptical one! See, e.g.,

http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n2903.html

Ah, well I meant elliptical as far as its shape appeared to me
(elliptical
patch) and not so much the proper galactic species.

Your comment about how bright and interesting M81/82 were after looking
at fainter stuff is revealing... I always like to finish with some
brighter eye candy before trundling off to bed! The contrast--and ease
of view-- can be incredible.

Larry Stedman
Vestal

Eric

Old November 18th 05, 02:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

Another long pedal, in the cold and dark, out the edge of town. Cold
weather really does take much of the pleasure out of observing.

Maybe so -- I've got to admit that I find it hard to spend a long time
observing when the temp is near zero F or below, especially if it's
windy. But there's no reason you should have any problems at all
in balmy near-freezing conditions. It's all a matter of wearing the
proper clothing.

If you're bicycling to your observing site, you're going to need to
carry extra clothing with you. Clothing that would keep you warm
while standing still for an hour would turn you into a puddle of sweat
on a bicycle.

For observing near freezing, I usually wear insulated boots, although
I can get away with street shoes for an hour or two. Definitely need
two or more layers on my legs, a down jacket over my pile jacket,
and a good warm winter hat.

Next on the agenda were M105, M95 & M96. ...
Thing is, there were four faint fuzzies ... It wasn't until I got home ...
that I realized I must have been looking at ngc 3384 in
addition to the messiers.

Right. NGC 3384 is a near twin of M105; it's rather surprising that
Mechain didn't notice it. Granted, it's a half mag fainter, but plenty
of Messier galaxies are *much* harder to see than NGC 3384.

- Tony Flanders