ASTRO: NGC 3206

Old March 24th 15, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 3206

NGC 3206 is a rather strange galaxy in UMa. Not an easy object for city
skies.
I needed three nights of which the first was very dusty and the other two
had a more than 50% lit moon high in the sky adding to the city lights.
Actually the moon wasn't that bad, SQM-L was only going up from 18.8 to 18.5
mag.
Image scale is 0.7 arcseconds/pixel.

Taken from Berlin with a 10" Meade ACF at f/8 on a G11 mount, Trius SX694
camera, 25x7,5min L, 22x7,5min CLS, 22x7,5min R, 20x7,5min G, 19x7,5min B.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3206colourgut.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	5592
Old March 25th 15, 04:13 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

That's a nice one. You got its star clouds quite well. 13+ hours! Wow. I've not had that many clear hours in a month here. Too put that time into something I'd likely need several years with my skies and seeing.

I've not gotten to it as yet. Due to its very unequal arms its on my Arp-like to do list but so far I've not had skies with good enough seeing when it was in position. This part of the sky has too dang many great targets and tends to be my worst for weather. Though the last year has been horrid greatly cutting into my productivity. Doesn't help that nights are getting shorter all the time.

Back in 2006 I was in New Zealand in July and thanks to their winter and long nights this hour angle was well positioned after dark. Though of course they couldn't do this galaxy but the majority of my targets this time of the year are in Virgo which was well positioned.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post