STRING WALKS AND SILLY WALKS

Old July 19th 08, 01:04 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default STRING WALKS AND SILLY WALKS

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-_PvllpJc

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Jyu6eioZ4

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iLZKqG...eature=related

Pentcho Valev

Old July 19th 08, 01:49 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Classical silly walks:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/bri...29physics.html
Brian Greene: "Einstein discovered that if you and I synchronize our
watches, and then you sit still while I run to and fro, when we rejoin
and compare our watches, we'll find that less time has passed on mine
than on yours. In short, motion through space slows the passage of
time....By 1915, with his "General Theory of Relativity," Einstein
took these realizations one step further, concluding that something
similar happens in a gravitational field. He figured out that the
stronger the gravity you experience, the slower time elapses. After
synchronizing our watches, were I to stay in the lobby of the Empire
State Building while you went sightseeing on the observation deck, I
would experience stronger gravity (being closer to Earth) and
according to Einstein, when we rejoin, my watch would be behind
yours."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../bugrivet.html

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/ph...barn_pole.html
"These are the props. You own a barn, 40m long, with automatic doors
at either end, that can be opened and closed simultaneously by a
switch. You also have a pole, 80m long, which of course won't fit in
the barn....So, as the pole passes through the barn, there is an
instant when it is completely within the barn. At that instant, you
close both doors simultaneously, with your switch. Of course, you open
them again pretty quickly, but at least momentarily you had the
contracted pole shut up in your barn."

Pentcho Valev

Old July 28th 08, 08:40 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Extremely silly string walks:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9629C8B 63
Brian Greene: "As we pass each other in the street, this rotation is
imperceptibly tiny; that's why common experience fails to reveal the
discrepancy between our respective senses of past, present and future.
But just as a tiny angular shift will cause a rocket to miss a distant
target by a large margin, the tiny angular shift between our notions
of now results in a significant time discrepancy if our separation in
space is substantial. If instead of being next to me, you were 10
light years away (and moving at about 9.5 miles an hour), what you
consider to have happened just now on earth would include events that
I'd experienced about four seconds later or earlier (depending on
whether your motion was toward or away from earth). If you were 10
billion light years away, the time discrepancy would jump to about 141
years."

Pentcho Valev

Old July 28th 08, 08:44 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Mitch Raemsch

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...1E3EF932A35752....
[...]

Silly String.

Mitch Raemsch
Old August 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

World Silly Walks Festival:

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbert...videoId=167386

Pentcho Valev

Old August 12th 08, 12:38 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

On Aug 2, 10:40*am, Pentcho Valev wrote:
World Silly Walks Festival:

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbert...videoId=167386

http://www.baylor.edu/pr/news.php?ac...ry&story=52090
"Dr. Gerald Cleaver, associate professor of physics at Baylor, and
Richard Obousy, a Baylor graduate student, theorize that by
manipulating the extra spatial dimensions of string theory around a
spaceship with an extremely large amount of energy, it would create a
"bubble" that could cause the ship to travel faster than the speed of
light. To create this bubble, the Baylor physicists believe
manipulating the 10th spatial dimension would alter the dark energy in
three large spatial dimensions: height, width and length. Cleaver said
positive dark energy is currently responsible for speeding up the
expansion rate of our universe as time moves on, just like it did
after the Big Bang, when the universe expanded much faster than the
speed of light for a very brief time. "Think of it like a surfer
riding a wave," said Cleaver, who co-authored the paper with Obousy
about the new method. "The ship would be pushed by the spatial bubble
and the bubble would be traveling faster than the speed of light." The
method is based on the Alcubierre drive, which proposes expanding the
fabric of space behind a ship and shrinking space-time in front of the
ship. The ship would not actually move, rather the ship would sit in a
bubble between the expanding and shrinking space-time dimensions.
Since space would move around the ship, the theory does not violate
Einstein's Theory of Relativity, which states that it would take an
infinite amount of energy to accelerate a massive object to the speed
of light. String theory suggests the universe is made up of multiple
dimensions. Height, width and length are three dimensions, and time is
the fourth dimension. String theorists use to believe that there were
a total of 10 dimensions, with six other dimensions that we can not
yet identify because of their incredibly small size. A new theory,
called M-theory, takes string theory one step farther and states that
the "strings" that all things are made of actually vibrate in an
additional spatial dimensional, which is called the 10th dimension. It
is by changing the size of this 10th spatial dimension that Baylor
researchers believe could alter the strength of the dark energy in
such a manner to propel a ship faster than the speed of light. The
Baylor physicists estimate that the amount of energy needed to
influence the extra dimension is equivalent to the entire mass of
Jupiter being converted into pure energy for a ship measuring roughly
10 meters by 10 meters by 10 meters. "That is an enormous amount of
energy," Cleaver said. "We are still a very long ways off before we
could create something to harness that type of energy." The paper
appears in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society."

Pentcho Valev

Old August 24th 08, 01:04 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Incredibly silly string walks:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0kik...eature=related

Much cleverer silly walks:

Old August 27th 08, 04:15 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,fr.sci.physique,fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

On Aug 24, 2:04*am, Pentcho Valev wrote:
Incredibly silly string walks:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0kik...eature=related

Much cleverer silly walks:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Jyu6eioZ4

The importance of sillywalking in science:

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Out...blic_Lectures/
"At this event professor Greene will discuss his new book as well as
the importance of storytelling in science....The book has sold more
than a million copies. Greene also authored, The Fabric of the Cosmos:
Space, Time and the Texture of Reality, which spent 6 months on The
New York Times bestsellers list and inspired The Washington Post to
describe him as "the single best explainer of abstruse concepts in the
world today."

"The single best explainer" or "the single best creator"? Perhaps The
Washington Post has made a mistake.

Pentcho Valev