J. G. Baker, Designer of High-Altitude Camera Lenses, Dies at 90 - New York Times

Old July 13th 05, 02:27 PM
David Lesher

Default J. G. Baker, Designer of High-Altitude Camera Lenses, Dies at 90 - New York Times

July 13, 2005

J. G. Baker, Designer of High-Altitude Camera Lenses, Dies at 90

By JEREMY PEARCE

James G. Baker, an astronomer who designed powerful lenses and
cameras for the U-2 spy plane in the 1950's and became a pioneer of
satellite reconnaissance in the cold war, died on June 29 at his
home in Bedford, N.H. He was 90.

His death was reported by his son Neal.

Dr. Baker conceived and began to build lenses for aerial cameras
used by military aircraft for mapping and reconnaissance by the Army
and Navy in World War II while he was still a graduate student.

After the war, Dr. Baker advised the Air Force Photographic Laboratory
and refined his work on high-altitude optical systems. He designed
the lenses used by the U-2, which flew at 70,000 feet to escape
detection and capture images of Soviet troops and missiles.

A host is a host from coast to
Old July 14th 05, 09:23 AM
Dave Michelson

David Lesher wrote:

July 13, 2005

J. G. Baker, Designer of High-Altitude Camera Lenses, Dies at 90

By JEREMY PEARCE

James G. Baker, an astronomer who designed powerful lenses and
cameras for the U-2 spy plane in the 1950's and became a pioneer of
satellite reconnaissance in the cold war, died on June 29 at his
home in Bedford, N.H. He was 90.

Let's not forget that he and Joseph Nunn were co-developers of the
Baker-Nunn cameras used for LEO satellite tracking!

--
Dave Michelson

Old July 15th 05, 04:37 PM
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:23:59 GMT, Dave Michelson
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
July 13, 2005

J. G. Baker, Designer of High-Altitude Camera Lenses, Dies at 90

By JEREMY PEARCE

James G. Baker, an astronomer who designed powerful lenses and
cameras for the U-2 spy plane in the 1950's and became a pioneer of
satellite reconnaissance in the cold war, died on June 29 at his
home in Bedford, N.H. He was 90.

Let's not forget that he and Joseph Nunn were co-developers of the
Baker-Nunn cameras used for LEO satellite tracking!

I've seen one of those cameras, in use at Edwards AFB in the early
'60s. Really impressive resolution. They showed us a few photos of
unclassified stuff (it was a tour for local high-school kids) and it
was quite amazing how small some of the junk was that we could see.
Being more naive at that time, I didn't think to ask how they got from
photos to some sort of database usable for actual tracking, though.

The satellite tracking group was in a cluster of buildings on a
hilltop, just off Rosamond Blvd on Nunn-Baker Road. I don't know what
they're used for now, but the Main Gate is just outside the
intersection and you can see the buildings just north of Rosamond
Blvd. The last time I went by they were still in use.

Mary

We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Old July 18th 05, 01:45 AM
Larry Haines

Thats why the world is overpopulated. People living TOO LONG !