Comets along the ecliptic?

Old January 14th 05, 02:45 AM
themeanies

Default Comets along the ecliptic?

What percentage of known comets orbit the sun along(or nearly along) the
ecliptic?

Along the same lines--what areas of the sky do comet hunters focus on in
searching from the Northern Hemisphere?

Thanks,

tM
Old January 14th 05, 07:12 AM
David Nakamoto

If you mean have orbits that line up along the ecliptic as the planets so,
practically none, meaning the vast majority of discovered comets have orbits
tilted in every direction.

--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

Old January 16th 05, 06:44 PM
Sketcher

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:45:51 -0600, themeanies
wrote:

What percentage of known comets orbit the sun along(or nearly along) the
ecliptic?

The graph (Fig. F5) on page 205 of "The Cambridge Guide to
Astronomical Discovery" (1992, by William Liller) shows the
inclinations of the orbits of all comets with well-determined orbits.
The bar graph uses different cross-hatching for long-period and
short-period comets.

The short-period comets show a definite and strong preference toward
zero degrees.

The long-period comets are more numerous at inclinations from 45 to
155 degrees than they are from 0 to 40 degrees.

Along the same lines--what areas of the sky do comet hunters focus on in
searching from the Northern Hemisphere?

Before the automated search programs (such as LINEAR), comet hunters
concentrated their searches in the dark sky nearest the sun -- just
after the end of evening twilight and just before morning twilight.
Odds were somewhat better in the morning sky.

After the advent of the automated search programs . . . I'm less
knowledgeable; but IIRC Don Machholz has mentioned that he checks for
the areas not yet covered by the automated searches and makes those
areas a priority. (In the realm of comet hunting it's always been
advisable to know your competition.)

By the way, there are many more graphs and other information relating
to comet discovery in Liller's book. Despite the HUGE effects the
automated programs now have on comet hunting and discovery, I think
you would find Liller's book useful.

Who knows, one of these cold, dark nights I may return to my own old,
moldy, comet-hunting program.

OTOH, when I make sketches during an observing session I tend to
return indoors with something to show for my time under the stars ;-)

Sketcher
To sketch is to see.
Old January 16th 05, 08:50 PM
themeanies

[...]

What a fantastic response. Thank You.

tM
Old January 17th 05, 02:31 AM
Brian Tung

Sketcher wrote:
The long-period comets are more numerous at inclinations from 45 to
155 degrees than they are from 0 to 40 degrees.

Do you mean per degree density of comets, or cumulatively?

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 17th 05, 02:53 AM
canopus56

Sketcher wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:45:51 -0600, themeanies
wrote:

snip

[Stekcher]
[b]ut IIRC Don Machholz has mentioned that he checks for
the areas not yet covered by the automated searches and makes those
areas a priority.

How does one determine what areas are currently covered by automated
searches? - Canopus56

Old January 17th 05, 04:11 AM
Sketcher

On 16 Jan 2005 18:53:43 -0800, "canopus56"
wrote:

How does one determine what areas are currently covered by automated
searches? - Canopus56

It's my understanding that the following link can be used for this
purpose:

http://scully.harvard.edu/~cgi/SkyCoverage.html

Sketcher
To sketch is to see.