Comet Machholz et al, TV76, 1/14/2005

Old January 16th 05, 03:24 AM
Florian

Default Comet Machholz et al, TV76, 1/14/2005

Date: Night of Friday, 14-Jan-2005
Location: Backyard, Palm Springs, California
Equipment: Tele Vue 76 (3" f/6.3) refractor

Backyard stargazing with the TV76. First object was comet Machholz. Easy =

naked eye object. Through the 3" can just detect the ion tail. Would be=20
much better from a darksky site. Rechecking after an hour or so movement =

was apparent. (I love stuff that moves!) Spent some time just sort of=20
randomly wandering around the sky. Open cluster NGC 1342, Melotte 20 =
(best=20
in binoculars), M34, M42/M43 region, M78, Orion's belt region, NGC 2238=20
Rosette neb can just detect a bit of nebulosity. To the south NGC 2362=20
Tau Canis Major, M93, M46 and M47, NGC 2451 and NGC 2477. Quick peek at=20
Saturn and its moon Titan where the Huygens probe landed yesterday.

-Florian
Stargazing.com

Old January 16th 05, 05:37 AM
Davoud

Florian:

Date: Night of Friday, 14-Jan-2005
Location: Backyard, Palm Springs, California
Equipment: Tele Vue 76 (3" f/6.3) refractor

Backyard stargazing with the TV76. First object was comet Machholz. Easy
naked eye object. Through the 3" can just detect the ion tail. Would be
much better from a darksky site. Rechecking after an hour or so movement
was apparent. (I love stuff that moves!) Spent some time just sort of
randomly wandering around the sky. Open cluster NGC 1342, Melotte 20 (best
in binoculars), M34, M42/M43 region, M78, Orion's belt region, NGC 2238
Rosette neb can just detect a bit of nebulosity. To the south NGC 2362
Tau Canis Major, M93, M46 and M47, NGC 2451 and NGC 2477. Quick peek at
Saturn and its moon Titan where the Huygens probe landed yesterday.

-Florian
Stargazing.com

I'm glad to read your report -- I picked up my new TV 76 from Company 7
yesterday. It's beautifully made, and reminds me of my Questar in that
regard. I couldn't help registering some hollow laughter when I read
"...much better from a darksky site," however. If you're saying that
from the California desert, what can I expect (other than sky fog and
cloud bottoms) from the Great Dismal Swamp known as Maryland, where a
night in which mag 3 stars can barely be discerned against a light gray
sky is enough to send happy amateurs scurrying to get their 'scopes
ready?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 16th 05, 07:08 AM
Jeff Setzer

Very nice report! The sky isn't very good tonight, but tomorrow night the
Clear Sky clock says it'll be great. I really want to take out my TV-85 and
have a look while it's still relatively bright. Only thing is, I'm in
Wisconsin vs. Palm Springs, CA and it's supposed to be -3 degrees F tomorrow
night. Maybe I'll take a QUICK look :-)

-Astrosetz
www.astrosetz.com
www.ncsf.info

Old January 16th 05, 01:41 PM
Mark Rosengarten

I had a look last night with my TV76 with a 13mm Nagler in it...gorgeous view,
but I didn't see any tail. I need a lower power ep to make this work. Still
waiting for the 36mm Burgess widefield ep to show up in my local place. Maybe
I'll get lucky today.

Mark
The Catman
^..^

www.geocities.com/mark_rosengarten
Owner/Coordinator of the Neko Ultraportable Solar Observatory
Fun WITH The Sun for Everyone!
Old January 16th 05, 04:23 PM
JJK

"Davoud" wrote:
I'm glad to read your report -- I picked up my new TV 76 from Company 7
yesterday. It's beautifully made, and reminds me of my Questar in that

snip

How well is it working in the cloud cover here in MD? ~`8^)

Old January 16th 05, 07:34 PM
thegeneraI1778 thegeneraI1778 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Nicetown Pa. 19140
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Date: Night of Friday, 14-Jan-2005
[...]

Hmm i guess im supposed to type
my re ply here
??
i dont know
anyways
im glad too see that some one
out there is actually observing the comet besides my self
good work.
BTW I go to aols astronomy club /// nightly i dont re seein you there
its a good place ( no indorcement )
to go
to chatt etc
w/
other
satronomers both pros and amature
keep up the posting on the comet.
John
thegeneraI17782A0L.COM
PS I HOPE IM GETTIN THE HANG OF POSTING MESSAGES ETC.
Old January 17th 05, 12:01 AM
Florian

BTW I go to aols astronomy club /// nightly i dont re seein you there
its a good place ( no indorcement )

Hi John,

I've never been to the AOL astro group. Most of my online astro time is =
spent=20
between Yahoo groups, usenet (like this post on sci.astro.amateur), and=20
recently on the CloudyNights.com binocular forum. You can also find me =
on the=20
DalNet IRC network, nickname is Stargazer.

-Florian

Old January 17th 05, 12:06 AM
Florian

I couldn't help registering some hollow laughter when I read
"...much better from a darksky site," however. If you're saying that
from the California desert, what can I expect (other than sky fog and
cloud bottoms) from the Great Dismal Swamp known as Maryland

Hi Davoud,

My home skies in Palm Springs are probably similar to many mid-size city =

skies. Naked eye limit is around mag 4.5. However within an hour's drive =

i can be under mag 6 skies.=20

-Florian

Old January 17th 05, 05:25 AM
Davoud

Florian:
Hi Davoud,

My home skies in Palm Springs are probably similar to many mid-size city
skies. Naked eye limit is around mag 4.5. However within an hour's drive
i can be under mag 6 skies.

Oh, yeah? Within an hour's (or two or five or six) drive I can be under
different clouds. So there.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com