ASTRO: Serpens Caput

Old July 13th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Serpens Caput

literally the "snake's head"

but oftentimes Caput means, gone, wasted, exhausted, used-up, etc.....

So the title seems amazingly descriptive in more than one way

I had a brief opportunity to shoot the Snake's Head on Saturday in the early
evening

I had sort of a small FOV using the SW66-1 / '155g SWC combination

I managed to take 3 shots with two keepers before the opportunity expired

here's the result: I think that the head region came out particularly
nicely.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/inc..._snake_3ft.jpg

this is identical to the system used including tube length but the
decorative parts are a bit different on mine

http://tinyurl.com/26cwejd

Old July 13th 10, 05:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 7/12/2010 7:56 PM, Richard Crisp wrote:
literally the "snake's head"

but oftentimes Caput means, gone, wasted, exhausted, used-up, etc.....

So the title seems amazingly descriptive in more than one way

I had a brief opportunity to shoot the Snake's Head on Saturday in the early
evening

I had sort of a small FOV using the SW66-1 / '155g SWC combination

I managed to take 3 shots with two keepers before the opportunity expired

here's the result: I think that the head region came out particularly
nicely.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/inc..._snake_3ft.jpg

this is identical to the system used including tube length but the
decorative parts are a bit different on mine

http://tinyurl.com/26cwejd

If you go to the second link first it is really confusing.

Glad I don't have that problem here. Just black bears which is pretty
docile unless you do something really stupid like hit one with bird shot
from close range. That gets them ticked.

Rick

Old July 13th 10, 05:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
On 7/12/2010 7:56 PM, Richard Crisp wrote:
literally the "snake's head"

but oftentimes Caput means, gone, wasted, exhausted, used-up, etc.....

So the title seems amazingly descriptive in more than one way

I had a brief opportunity to shoot the Snake's Head on Saturday in the
early
evening

I had sort of a small FOV using the SW66-1 / '155g SWC combination

I managed to take 3 shots with two keepers before the opportunity expired

here's the result: I think that the head region came out particularly
nicely.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/inc..._snake_3ft.jpg

this is identical to the system used including tube length but the
decorative parts are a bit different on mine

http://tinyurl.com/26cwejd

If you go to the second link first it is really confusing.

that's what I shot it with.... a snubby from about 10 feet away

Old July 13th 10, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 7/12/2010 11:38 PM, Richard Crisp wrote:
"Rick wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I figured that out but when I went there I was still thinking stars as
you intended but not seeing the snake first I was really lost.

Snubbys aren't always that accurate. Looks like one was a clean head
shot. Don't try that pop gun on the bears here though, just makes them
mad. Certainly don't aim for the head. One guy did that with a .38 and
the ricochet nailed his buddy in the leg. Fortunately a third guy had a
10 gauge with a slug or they would have been in a world of hurt.

Rick

Old July 13th 10, 01:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

If you go to the second link first it is really confusing.

that's what I shot it with.... a snubby from about 10 feet away

I figured that out but when I went there I was still thinking stars as you
intended but not seeing the snake first I was really lost.

Snubbys aren't always that accurate. Looks like one was a clean head

--that was the point: a lucky shot.... I've had that snub for a long time
and it just happens to be what I normally carry around on the ranch to
dispatch pesky coyotes that keep killing our pet cats (lost three in the
past 18 months). Sat night just before sun down I saw that snake while
driving the wife and dogs to the barn. I used what I had, not what I would
have preferred to have had with me.... Three shots were fired and two hit
their mark

I did see a black bear about 18 months ago in the late afternoon (january).
It was crossing the main road about 2 miles from our home

We saw bear tracks around our barn while the hay barn was being constructed.
Other than that no bears.

I'd not attempt to shoot one with a snubnose 357 though....

In fact I doubt I'd take a shot at one period.

I do have a Winchester .3006 that would work fine on a bear if necessary
though