Which books?

Old December 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Which books?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone (Sam Wormley maybe?) could help me? I am looking
for fairly decent Amateur Astronomy books to complement my renewed interest
in Astronomy...
Many years ago when in my teens I was really into Astronomy.......I used to
use my pathetic refractor most winter nights (whilst dreaming of a
SCT).......did some astrophotography with an SLR......visited places like
Herstmonceux and even started a joint degree in Astronomy....
I had some good books on Astronomy..... IIRC by people like Ian Ridpath and
Wil Tirion, and a copy of Larousse Encyclopedia (still got that one
somewhere).......unfortunately 20 years on they are gone.........
I have pc programs like Redshift and Stellarium and am pretty comfortable
with eyeball navigaton of major constellations, bright stars and objects.
But its always nice to have maps and coords of the fainter stuff and some
text about them.......

Thanks in advance!

------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security
will deserve neither and lose both."
[Benjamin Franklin]

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it."
[Erasmus]

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
[Thucydides]

Old January 1st 07, 02:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starboard

While you're deciding on what book to buy, you might try a few of these
sites for information on what's up and whe

For This Week's Sky at a Glance -
http://skytonight.com/observing/atag...tml?page=1&c=y

For Monthly Star chart and summary info -
http://www.telescope.com/shopping/br...erID=29&KICKER

For Messier object descriptions -
http://www.seds.org/messier/objects.html

Errol
PASNOLA

Old January 1st 07, 04:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
david parkin

Hi all.

If there is one single "book" that would be useful and inspiring, I
suggest Tirion and Sinnott's second edition of "Sky Atlas 2000".

And of course Sky Catalogue 2000 to go with it.

--
**************************
Dave Parkin

Old January 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
david parkin

Your very welcome Sam - same to you and all the group.
"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
But of course!
Happy new observing year!
-Sam

Old January 1st 07, 05:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

David Parkin wrote:
Your very welcome Sam - same to you and all the group.
"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
But of course!
Happy new observing year!
-Sam

I would also add the NSOG (Night Sky Observers Guide)
Two volume set, and worth every penny !!!!

Happy New Years to EVERYONE !!

--

AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net
Old January 1st 07, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
david parkin

And there is of course the 3 book set of Burnhams Celestial Handbook - a
three book set, very good but a bit dated (epoch 1950).
Excelent for reference though.

**************************
Dave Parkin
Swansea - Wales. - UK.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Well, everybody knows that *real* astronomers look at the moon vbg so
I'd recommend the New Rukl Lunar Atlas and Chuck Woods book "The Modern
Moon."

:-)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?