Apply shuttle ET foam in a vacuum.

Old July 30th 05, 03:41 AM
Mr Scott

Default Apply shuttle ET foam in a vacuum.

Interesting idea.

Is it the solution?

Old July 30th 05, 09:32 AM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Mr Scott wrote:
Interesting idea.

Is it the solution?

Yes. Launch the shuttle first and *then* apply the foam.
Old July 30th 05, 01:31 PM
Roy Smith

John Steinberg wrote:

Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:

Yes. Launch the shuttle first and *then* apply the foam.

FYI:
http://facilities.grc.nasa.gov/spf/

I've just done some very quick scratch figuring and the real answer
isn't better foam application but rather a better ablative material.

Turns out my materials science manual has the answer on page 831.

Duct tape.

Two wrappings around the problematic ET and she's good to go. Only
potential problem: it might survive re-entry.

Most mechanical problems boil down to one of two things:

1) It's too tight.

2) It's too loose.

It therefore follows that a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 should be
able to fix most problems.
Old July 30th 05, 03:35 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:11:10 -0400, John Steinberg
wrote:

I've just done some very quick scratch figuring and the real answer
isn't better foam application but rather a better ablative material.

Turns out my materials science manual has the answer on page 831.

Duct tape.

Two wrappings around the problematic ET and she's good to go. Only
potential problem: it might survive re-entry.

Interesting analysis. Did your calculations tell you how many rolls
would be required?

Couldn't you apply the same technique to the SRBs and eliminate any
remaining o-ring issues?

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old July 30th 05, 03:38 PM
Roy Smith

wrote:

I've just done some very quick scratch figuring and the real answer
isn't better foam application but rather a better ablative material.

Turns out my materials science manual has the answer on page 831.

Duct tape.

Two wrappings around the problematic ET and she's good to go. Only
potential problem: it might survive re-entry.

Interesting analysis. Did your calculations tell you how many rolls
would be required?

Couldn't you apply the same technique to the SRBs and eliminate any
remaining o-ring issues?

Heck, just wrap duct tape around the whole thing and you can get rid of all
those silly bipod things and other attachment structures.
Old July 30th 05, 07:08 PM
Gil

They should just go back to the less environmentally friendly
application method. Not too many foam problems prior to making the
switch. Hell, shuttle launches are not exactly eco-friendly, might as
well get them up and down in one piece!

Old July 30th 05, 07:36 PM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"Gil" wrote in message
oups.com...
They should just go back to the less environmentally friendly
application method. Not too many foam problems prior to making the
switch. Hell, shuttle launches are not exactly eco-friendly, might as
well get them up and down in one piece!

Bzzt. Urban myth.

Old July 30th 05, 07:43 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Gil" wrote in message
oups.com...
They should just go back to the less environmentally friendly
application method.

Wrong. Please stop repeating this myth.

The ET had foam problems from STS-1.

And in any rate, the bipod ramp WAS the old foam.

Old July 31st 05, 02:04 AM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

Don't need to go to the trouble. Just get one of the counter top vacuum food
left over sealers.

Care to tell us how you intend to fit the 150+ft long by 27+ ft diameter
ET in the vacuum facility at Plumbrook?

Old July 31st 05, 03:37 AM
Gil

Here's a link - it's not where I got the story from originally, but I
do remember reading about this after the Columbia accident. I realize
the source here is suspect, but is this story completely fabricated?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...28/93055.shtml

Gil