New planet vs. Drake's Equation

Old April 27th 07, 12:10 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.skeptic
Modemac

Default New planet vs. Drake's Equation

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but the discovery of a new,
"potentially" Earth-like planet makes me hopeful for the future of
Drake's Equation.

Given the state of current technology, it seems that we may not be
able to conduct any kind of detailed study of the new planet in Gliese
for, oh, maybe thirty to fifty years. But when that time comes, all
eyes will be focused on it. For *if* they find some kind of evidence
of life, it could radically alter the equation. The chances of life
existing on the *very first* Earth-like planet discovered by Humanity
could very well be a factor in the equation -- for if there is life
there, then it *might* be a sign that life is commonplace in the
Universe, and easily found. That life may be no more than algae and
sludge, but it would still mean that there is life elsewhere in the
Universe.

If life is actually found on the next two or three Earth-like planets
discovered, then it might be time to start un-corking the champagne
bottles.

And if no life is found on any Earth-like planets discovered in the
next, oh, two centuries or so, then that might affect the equation in
the other direction. It might suggest that life is rare, or at least
scarce enough to make it hard to find.

As an optimist, I'm hoping for the first option to turn out to be
true. Still, just knowing that there is a chance -- however slim --
that life on another planet might indeed be discovered within my own
lifetime, that alone gives me pause. And it makes me quite glad.

--
The High Weirdness Project
http://www.modemac.com

Old May 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.skeptic,sci.astro.seti
Joseph Lazio

"M" == Modemac writes:

M Maybe it's the optimist in me, but the discovery of a new,
M "potentially" Earth-like planet makes me hopeful for the future of
M Drake's Equation.

M Given the state of current technology, it seems that we may not be
M able to conduct any kind of detailed study of the new planet in
M Gliese for, oh, maybe thirty to fifty years. But when that time
M comes, all eyes will be focused on it. For *if* they find some
M kind of evidence of life, it could radically alter the equation.

No, it won't. It may alter the values we assign to the various
factors of the equation, by giving us a better estimate of them, but
it will not alter the equation.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |

(M1*m1),(p1*p2),(q1*q2) equation.!! brian a m stuckless SETI 4 December 15th 05 09:46 PM
M1*m1,p1*p2,q1*q2 equation.!! brian a m stuckless SETI 0 December 9th 05 09:26 PM
Equation of time: need the equation itself [email protected] Misc 1 March 10th 05 06:02 AM
Old Equation May Shed New Light On Planet Formation Ron Astronomy Misc 0 January 5th 04 11:03 PM
Drake's Equation Rich SETI 1 October 8th 03 07:18 PM