Not planning ahead enough?

Old January 17th 14, 06:52 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Not planning ahead enough?

You know with the release of The safety report etc, it sort of came to mind
that assuming the station makes it to 2024, what then?
Its only a decade away, and nobody is building a successor are they, nor
really do they have the capability to shift such large bits to leo either.

So do you see a further extension, assuming the wear and tear is still
acceptable? Of course it could be by then that some large items need
replacing, and as I surmise these may not fit on 'normal' launchers.

If they decide not to have a space station any more, then I get the feeling
that the public might well lose interest and the costs of doing things might
well mean we enter a period of not very much going on as funding is cut.
If we as a planet are serious at, in the long term leaving our world, there
needs to be more commitment I think.
Interesting to note that Nasa keep saying not interested in the moon, but
keep sending orbiters there, and are now looking for commercial partners for
landers. Oh no we are not interested in the moon, whatever gave you that
idea.. grin.
Brian

Email:

Help with astronomy planning SW Sam The Cat Amateur Astronomy 12 June 24th 06 11:44 PM
re planning application James Vincent UK Astronomy 9 December 11th 04 05:18 PM
Mission Planning Derek Lyons Policy 1 November 16th 04 12:07 AM
Mission Planning Derek Lyons Space Station 1 November 16th 04 12:07 AM
Planning only one step ahead (movie editing software) Ian Parkinson UK Astronomy 3 June 13th 04 04:35 PM