Astronomy, are there really any other subjects?

Old May 7th 04, 12:01 PM
Colin Dawson

Default Astronomy, are there really any other subjects?

Hi all.

It never ceases to amaze me about this strange subject of astronomy. Since I
bought my scope and got really interested in astonomy, I've found myself
dabbling in so many different aspects of science, history, mathematics,
religon and art!

For science, there's that observing itself. Also expanding on this, there's
the equipment that I've built to make my observing easier, this includes
rekindling my skill in electronics (that I've neglected since leaving
college ), learning about the how the universe is constructed, as well as
following the latest offerings from the ESO and NASA.

For history, I've started learning about the history of Astronomy, where the
science came from and the people involved, there's a wealth of information
available, and it's not all "this bloke found that object" by straying away
from the main topic a little, you start to get an appreciation of the whole
of life at the times when these descoverys took place. i.e. The story of
Galileo the Heretic (now recinded) could allow you to stray off into the
Spanish Inquisition which was happening at the time.

Mathematics, again link with history, and go back to the Babylonian times.
You will find the origin of Trigonometry. Strange that the maths teachers
never bother to explain what SIN, COS and TAN really are. (we'll they never
told me anyway) Alot of kids would find maths so much easier if they where
told more than "do that dammed sum now" ;-)

If recently found myself in an interesting conversation at work. A collegue
was trying to wind up myself (a christian) and another collegue (a muslim)
by asking about the origins of the universe. My Muslim collegue believes in
the teachings in the Koran. He said that God created the universe, I said
that it was created by a big bang (expanding univers theory, which is
favorite at the moment). He said that God created the big bang, I have no
proof that this is not true and found myself agreeing that this could be
possible. This is just one example from the conversation, that proved that
religion and science can co-exist in harmony.

As for art, the whole reason that I wanted my telescope in the first place
is so that I can take Astrophotos. Whilst there's not alot of scientific
value to these. I think it can be called an art form.

I'm sure that there's other subjects that can also be worked in under the
belt of astronomy. Having just written all this, I'm begginning to see why
it's a minority of people that are interested in this field. It's such a
vast subject that includes so many others that to appreciate it as a whole
you'd need to be very inquesitive and intelligent. I'm sure that more
people would be interested in this topic, if we were able to break it down
into smaller chunks.

This is just a thought that crossed my mind. I'm feeling a little
philosophical at the moment. (damm, there's another subject)

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

Old May 7th 04, 12:25 PM
Andrew Urquhart

*Colin Dawson* wrote:
Hi all.

Hello

snip /
I'm sure that there's other subjects that can also be worked
in under the belt of astronomy

snip /

Chemistry, all the branches of physics I can think of at the moment,
anthropology, geology, computing, meteorology, poetry, film, music,
painting, ... USENET (for when it's cloudy).
--
Andrew Urquhart
- Archive: www.google.com/groups?q=uk.sci.astronomy

Old May 7th 04, 02:48 PM
Andrew Cockburn

Biology - dark adaptation, how the eye works etc.

Legislation and local council handling (politics) for light pollution

Travel - eclipse hunting, the eternal quest for dark skies

Diplomacy (I'll just be another 10 minutes love, then of course I'll
came and watch Corrie with you)

Lying (see above !)

You're right of course, and the best bit is that you can pick the things
that really interest you and take that route, so everyone's experience
is totally different, unlike playing the latest computer game where
everyone is doing exactly the same thing. (not that I don't enjoy the
odd game or two, but you play it, you finish then that's the end of it).

Regards,

Andrew

Old May 7th 04, 04:52 PM
Martin Frey

Andrew Cockburn wrote:

Biology - dark adaptation, how the eye works etc.

Legislation and local council handling (politics) for light pollution

Travel - eclipse hunting, the eternal quest for dark skies

Diplomacy (I'll just be another 10 minutes love, then of course I'll
came and watch Corrie with you)

Lying (see above !)

Cooking, ironing, cleraning the toilet.

Not yet but soon if you buggers keep blowing the gaff like this

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old May 7th 04, 04:54 PM
Martin Frey

Martin Frey wrote:

Cooking, ironing, cleraning the toilet.

That should of course read cleaning - already more than I need or want
to know.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old May 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Tony Pottrell

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
Martin Frey wrote:

Cooking, ironing, cleraning the toilet.

That should of course read cleaning - already more than I need or want
to know.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 02 E 0 47

Don't forget gardening (clearing that brablebush for the concrete
foundation), map reading, DIY etc

Old May 7th 04, 05:21 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:48:31 -0700, Andrew Cockburn
wrote:

Biology - dark adaptation, how the eye works etc.

Legislation and local council handling (politics) for light pollution

etc...

Golf

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Old May 7th 04, 10:45 PM
Chef!

Andrew Cockburn wrote:
Ok, I suspect I'm falling into some elaborate trap here, but why golf
???

Golf balls for running your dome on or
a Golf to transport your telescope around in or
a session on the Golf course chatting up the CFO for additional grant
funding.

Regards
Chef

Old May 8th 04, 12:56 AM
DT

Surgery.

I've just jammed a scalpel under my fingernail while working on my
spectroscope.
No no, it's all right, it's not a passing-out kind of pain, it's more
like a throwing-up kind. I don't blame Maurice Gavin for putting the
idea in my head, and I'm sure I can clean the grating before the blood
dries....

I think I'll just sit quietly for a while....

Denis
--
DT
Replace nospam with the antithesis of hills