LX90 First Light (longish)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th 04, 04:02 PM
Chris Taylor

"""and also a mains inverter for the laptop"""

If your laptop operates from 12 (or 13.8V) no invertor should be necessary,
power it straight from the battery box you'll be making.

"""Do you know anywhere on the web that stocks a good range of suitable
batteries ?"""

Try Maplin www.maplin.co.uk for a larger range of 12V lead acids. Mine works
from sunset to 2am with no sign of being in a severely discharged state and
its a 1.2AH about 10cm x 5cm x 4cm. I also sometimes use one of the cheap
multi voltage-multi connectored mains adapters AKA Travellers Power Supply,
again, from Maplin.

Regards

Chris

"Andrew Cockburn" wrote in message
-service-com...
Hi Colin

It's alot cheaper, and you don't need to dedicate it to the scope.

I suppose - but I always loved gadgets of any sort, one reason why the
whole scope thing appeals so much ! You're right though, no real need
for a compass, and any cheap level will do the job.

I've been working on it this weekend. Just need to get the battery

voltage
monitor circuit working. Then build a box to house the battery and

circuits.
Here's a sneak preview of some of the work so far...
The clear blue box shows the insides of the box really well.

It certainly does - that is looking pretty damn cool ! I like the way
you are doing this, it is giving me a lot of ideas for power. I'd like
to build a combination battery box including your dew heater design and
also a mains inverter for the laptop when I get it up and running. I'd
like to include a charge indicator so I look forward to seeing how yours
works out, also might include the obligatory red light, and a built in
mains charger. I hadn't thought of using a breakout box mounted on the
scope to stop trailing wires though - great idea.

My immediate need is to not have to buy another set of those damn C
cells, so I think I'll pick up a small lead-acid battery and hook it up
as per your power cable specs, then think some more about my master
project. Do you know anywhere on the web that stocks a good range of
suitable batteries ? Chris mentioned he used an alarm battery from B&Q,
that will probably do for starters, but I can imagine I'll need
something fairly hefty when I get all of the above in and running !

Let me guess. The blinking lights. They're always popular.

Yep ;-) They look pretty simple to rustle up and would instantly label
me as a techno-geek. Is geekery possible in the telescope world ?

hehe yeah. And those long cloudy nights when there's no point settting

up
the scope. Feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime.

Thanks - I had another look at the dew heater on your website today, I'm
definately tempted to give it a go !

I've just taken a quick look at your website. I can't wait to see the
images that you'll be producing with your Coolpix and Scope combined!

So much to do, so little time ... Yes, I need to source some kind of
mounting kit for that, but will probably try piggybacking first, and of
course there is the LPI to play with ..

Regards,

Andrew

Regards