What if the bedrock we see is partly made of ice?

Old March 4th 04, 02:13 AM
Joe Schmoe

Default What if the bedrock we see is partly made of ice?

Marry me Carla,

I have never seen anyone be so honest on four newgroups simultaneously.

Opportunity is now on a what - 70 Martian day travel (if it can make it)
to a bigger crater. Big outcrops (which Op can't reach) lower crater
floor (if it isn't filled with dust and sands as one would expect) - I
see this travel as just a waste of time to make Op's semi fruitful data
that reinforce the Levin's theories into "let NASA eat CROW" territory -
as the real reason why these "white (n)ass(i) NASA stupids" are now
hiding data and hiding from reality.

JS

Carla Schneider wrote:

Carla Schneider wrote:

WTF wrote:

I am not a geologist, so I am asking anyone with knowledge on the topic
if it possible that the bedrock we see in the crater (opportunity site)
is not entirely solid rock, but instead is a mixture of ice, dirt and
rock (permafrost)?

If the outcrop contained ice , it would have to be very fresh, because
ice evapourates fast on mars. And fast means weeks , not millenia.
The ice-rock would be covered with fresh powder from the remaining dust.
The alpha X ray spectrometer would show a lot of hydrogen.

Sorry for this - of course an X ray spectromter cannot show hydrogen.

Old March 4th 04, 05:04 AM
Clif Davis

Carla, do you have an English version of your website. I would love to read
what you have there.
Clif

--
http://www.geocities.com/carla_sch/index.html

Old March 9th 04, 05:15 AM
Rick Sobie

"WTF" wrote in message ...
I am not a geologist, so I am asking anyone with knowledge on the topic
if it possible that the bedrock we see in the crater (opportunity site)
is not entirely solid rock, but instead is a mixture of ice, dirt and
rock (permafrost)?

here are some sample images of permafrost as seen on earth, and I find
that some of thee images resemble what we are seeing from the rovers

Yes that would be because as everyone has noticed, they are in fact in Antarctica.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2391L2M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2594R7M1.JPG

http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/head...a/permname.jpg
http://www.socc.uwaterloo.ca/_images...permafrost.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/ypdfc
http://www.steinborn.org/gifs/alaska...permafrost.JPG
http://lovelace.ucsd.edu/Ted/Arcticw...0on%20view.jpg

I got the idea from this article
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ce_040229.html

WTF

Old March 9th 04, 07:08 AM
Rick Sobie

"Clif Davis" wrote in message
news
uuuuuhhhhhh, what were those images supposed to be of.... ????

You mean the NASA Antartcia rover images?

They are on some volcano plateau or something pretending to be on Mars.

But the question is, what the heck is this supposed to be?

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/rove...-2-viz-med.jpg

I mean that is about the worst graphic work I have ever seen.