Briefcase question

Old July 11th 03, 07:56 PM
John Smith

Default Briefcase question

Most of the Apollo pre flight footage shows the Astronauts carrying a
particular type of what looks like Aluminium briefcase. What make were these
cases and are they still available today.

Thanks

John

Old July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
Jay Windley

"John Smith" wrote in message
| Most of the Apollo pre flight footage shows the Astronauts carrying a
| particular type of what looks like Aluminium briefcase. What make were
| these cases and are they still available today.

Oxygen. At a certain point after suit-up the astronauts began breathing
pure oxygen to allow the dissolved nitrogen in their blood to be eliminated.
Otherwise the lowering of the cabin pressure at ascent would have given the
astronauts "the bends" -- painful, and sometimes fatal.

Shuttle astronauts do not require this because their cabin environment is
basically a duplicate of sea-level earth air. Astronauts preparing for
shuttle EVAs pre-breathe with oxygen to accomplish the same results.

As to whether they are "still available," I think you could probably find
examples in museums, but that exact equipment is no longer needed and so
it's no longer manufactured.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old July 11th 03, 09:05 PM
Hallerb

Briefcase question
From: "Jay Windley"

Also for apollo they were cooling units to keep the astronauts comfoirtable
after suit up.

Old July 12th 03, 09:09 AM
John Smith

Sorry, I did not mean when they were in there flight suits, I meant when
they were in there civies or air force dress. I remember reading that the
briefcases are a specific type, very expensive and robust.

Many Thanks

Jon
Briefcase question
From: "Jay Windley"

Old July 12th 03, 12:42 PM
David Higgins

John Smith wrote:

Sorry, I did not mean when they were in there flight suits, I meant when
they were in there civies or air force dress. I remember reading that the
briefcases are a specific type, very expensive and robust.

Zero Halliburton, most likely. Something like this?
http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/01807140.shtml

Old July 12th 03, 09:41 PM
John Smith

Thats the one.

Thanks

Jon
"David Higgins" wrote in message

John Smith wrote:

Sorry, I did not mean when they were in there flight suits, I meant

when
they were in there civies or air force dress. I remember reading that

the
briefcases are a specific type, very expensive and robust.

Zero Halliburton, most likely. Something like this?
http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/01807140.shtml

Solar panel/mirror question ANTIcarrot Technology 13 July 13th 04 04:35 PM
Question User Science 4 June 24th 04 09:05 PM
basic question on orbits of space ships/stations Gordon D. Pusch Science 3 May 15th 04 03:29 AM
Weird Question About How Gravity Works Mick Fin Policy 3 May 10th 04 07:32 PM
Moon key to space future? James White Policy 90 January 6th 04 05:29 PM