Advice desired on quality of space posters & prints

Old May 17th 04, 06:47 PM
Usenet user

Default Advice desired on quality of space posters & prints

Hello out there. I am going to be purchasing some prints of famous space
scenes and have them mounted with a frame, etc. I would like some advice on
the quality of these prints. Sometimes they are called photos instead of
prints or posters, in which the photos seem to be a lot more expensive.

Currently I have the Earthrise from Apollo 11 that I bought from a NASA shop
for like $7 back in 1990. I am now looking to get these:

- Buzz standing on the Moon

- Infrared Saturn

- Apollo 8 At The Pad (S68-55420)

I would like get the first two as 16 x 20 and the last one as 20 x 24.

I've been doing some research on shops that sell these.

For Buzz standing on the Moon:

spaceshots.com F-2102 has a 16 x 20 print for $9.99 - this one is cropped
perfectly

www.skyimagelab.com/ap11alref.html has the 18 x 22 and 24 x 30 prints (with 1"
border) for $26.75 and $42.75, respectively. These would need to be cropped.

store.yahoo.com/spaceimages/as11-40-59093 has a 20 x 24 photo for $50, which
would also need to be cropped.

For Infrared Saturn:

www.abama.com/posters/ws002t17.htm has 16 x 20 for $12.50

www.skyimagelab.com/infraredsaturn.html has the 18 x 22 print for $26.75

For Apollo 8 At The Pad, I can only find the 20 x 24 at
store.yahoo.com/spaceimages/s68-55420.html for $50.

I guess my question is how much of a difference in quality is there really? If
it is that big of a deal, perhaps I should replace the Apollo 11 Earthrise I
currently have. I will be framing these prints/photos/posters with a glass
cover. Also, sometimes, there is a mention that the photos are available in
matte or gloss. Which of these would be best for what I want.

Thanx

Old May 17th 04, 10:37 PM
John Beaderstadt

While reading in the bathroom on Mon, 17 May 2004 17:47:45 GMT, I saw
that (Usenet user) had written:

I guess my question is how much of a difference in quality is there really? If
it is that big of a deal, perhaps I should replace the Apollo 11 Earthrise I
currently have. I will be framing these prints/photos/posters with a glass
cover. Also, sometimes, there is a mention that the photos are available in
matte or gloss. Which of these would be best for what I want.

I can't answer your specific questions, but two places you might want
to look are the bookshop at
http://www.astrosociety.org/ and
http://www.allposters.com/

I've purchased from both places, and they both sell very high-quality
posters with excellent packing and shipping.

BTW, I've found that a glossy finish detracts from the image's
visibility.

Old May 19th 04, 12:14 AM
Andrew Gray

["Followup-To:" header set to sci.space.history.]
On 2004-05-17, Usenet user wrote:
Hello out there. I am going to be purchasing some prints of famous space
scenes and have them mounted with a frame, etc. I would like some advice on
the quality of these prints. Sometimes they are called photos instead of
prints or posters, in which the photos seem to be a lot more expensive.

Entirely by coincidence, I found this tonight:

http://www.msss.com/Gift_Shop/shop

which seems to offer a "you find it, we print" service, in addition to
their own range of sometimes very pretty images.

And a neat mug.

--
-Andrew Gray