Cover for C-8--Won't Stay On

Old December 15th 04, 09:12 PM
W. Watson

Default Cover for C-8--Won't Stay On

Someone gave our museum a Celestron C-8 SCT that's about 6 years old. It's in very
good condition, but the cover seems to be missing a spring or something. The cover is
the original I believe. It has an orange knob in the middle with Celestron on it, and
the cover is about 8.5" in diameter. Any ideas why it doesn't stay on more firmly?
(Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

"There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!" -- anon.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old December 15th 04, 09:17 PM
Stephen Paul

Mine rotates and locks in place.

--
Stephen Paul
42.5N 71.5W

k.net...

Old December 15th 04, 11:38 PM
Nick Funk

I have a PowerStarII (Celestron C-8). The plastic lens cover on mine is
very loose and can fall off very easily during movement.

Old December 16th 04, 09:52 PM
W. Watson

Stephen Paul wrote:

Mine rotates and locks in place.

Ah, rotation. Maybe that's the trick.

Old December 17th 04, 01:44 AM
Stephen Paul

W. Watson wrote:
Stephen Paul wrote:

Mine rotates and locks in place.

Ah, rotation. Maybe that's the trick.

Yes, there are two locations on the cover that have inlets. The cover
can really only go on that one way, correctly.
Old December 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
Roger Hinson

"W. Watson" wrote:

Stephen Paul wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

Stephen Paul wrote:

Mine rotates and locks in place.

Ah, rotation. Maybe that's the trick.

Yes, there are two locations on the cover that have inlets. The cover
can really only go on that one way, correctly.

It turns out there was no way to tighten it by rotating it. I had a friend look at it
today, and he thinks its just the way it's mfger. He had one at one time. That is
loose. He suggested putting tape along the edges. I think that's probably going to be
the solution.

I Stepped on my cover one night and broke it and had to order a
replacement from Celestron. It had no notches on the lip to lock on
with, so I had to cut my own with a moto tool.
Roger

Old December 24th 04, 03:42 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-12-24, W. Watson wrote:
Stephen Paul wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

Stephen Paul wrote:

Mine rotates and locks in place.

Ah, rotation. Maybe that's the trick.

Yes, there are two locations on the cover that have inlets. The cover
can really only go on that one way, correctly.

It turns out there was no way to tighten it by rotating it. I had a friend look at it
today, and he thinks its just the way it's mfger. He had one at one time. That is
loose. He suggested putting tape along the edges. I think that's probably going to be
the solution.

There are be two fingers on the telescope that engage two
L-shaped grooves on the dust cover, like a bayonet connector.
Look carefully.
Old December 24th 04, 02:37 PM
W. Watson

On 2004-12-24, W. Watson wrote:

Stephen Paul wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

.... snip

It turns out there was no way to tighten it by rotating it. I had a friend look at it
today, and he thinks its just the way it's mfger. He had one at one time. That is
loose. He suggested putting tape along the edges. I think that's probably going to be
the solution.

There are be two fingers on the telescope that engage two
L-shaped grooves on the dust cover, like a bayonet connector.
Look carefully.

I suspect if the former owner who donated the scope to the museum probably lost them.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews