ASTRO: Nova Vulpeculae 2007

Old August 11th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Nova Vulpeculae 2007

Here's what it looked like last night. Sky went to pot during the blue
frames so they are quite fuzzy making somewhat of a blue halo around not
so blue stars. The nova is the bright star in the center. The slightly
brighter star 7 minutes NW (up and to the right) is SS Vulpeculae. Per
the Sky and Telescope notice
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/resou...t/9054076.html
it was mag 9.4. That's exactly (9.408) what The Sky said it was in my
shot. Taken August 10 04:30 GMT.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=5x1' RGB=2x1' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N_VUL5X1RGB3X2R1_67%.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	1092
Old August 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's really cool Rick

now that you shot it I don't need to :-)

Old August 11th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I didn't even know there was a nova in Vulpecula. Of course it is quite
disappointing that it is not in the same field as M27 ;-)

Stefan

Old August 11th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Rick,

I didn't even know there was a nova in Vulpecula. Of course it is quite
disappointing that it is not in the same field as M27 ;-)

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Here's what it looked like last night. Sky went to pot during the blue
frames so they are quite fuzzy making somewhat of a blue halo around not
so blue stars. The nova is the bright star in the center. The slightly
brighter star 7 minutes NW (up and to the right) is SS Vulpeculae. Per
the Sky and Telescope notice
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/resou...t/9054076.html

it was mag 9.4. That's exactly (9.408) what The Sky said it was in my
shot. Taken August 10 04:30 GMT.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=5x1' RGB=2x1' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

With a really wide field M27 could be in the field, it certainly isn't
far away (angular distance anyway). I didn't know of the nova either
until that morning when the S&T alert hit my inbox. It was sort of
clear for just enough time to get that shot. Though the blue was fogged
by high clouds that enlarged the stars putting a blue halo around many
stars. I suppressed it manually on SS Vulpeculae though it still isn't
as red as I would expect a Mira variable to be though they do change
color depending on where they are in their cycle. I wonder if it was
discovered by someone following SS Vulpeculae? It sure would change the
field you were used to! If I ever get another clear night I'll try and
follow it to see what the light curve is doing. Some send out nice
H-alpha shells and turn pink as they fade. Those though are usually
stronger than this guy was. It only brightened less than 9 magnitudes
so a pretty weak nova. Nova Cygni 1975 turned a nice pink only a week
after maximum. By then it had faded some 6 magnitudes from maximum
which was at least 21 magnitudes brighter than it was originally.
Weather though is still lousy here.

Rick