"galacto geography"

Old September 5th 03, 12:33 AM
Rick

Default "galacto geography"

I'm looking for a source of information on the local galactic
neighborhood, say within 5,000 light years of the sun.
Old September 6th 03, 06:51 AM
Painius

"Rick" wrote in message...

I'm looking for a source of information on the local galactic
neighborhood, say within 5,000 light years of the sun.

Here you go, Rick...

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html

....that was *my* favorite place to start!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Tender is my love for thee
Oh star so close at hand,

It's so easy to believe
In all this beachin' fun,
That some day you and i will be--
Altogether one.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 8th 03, 02:11 AM
Benoit Morrissette

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:33:13 GMT, Rick wrote:

I'm looking for a source of information on the local galactic
neighborhood, say within 5,000 light years of the sun.

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/local.html

Benoît Morrissette
Old September 8th 03, 04:04 PM
Rick

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of data I was looking for.
And thanks for the poem also!

Rick in Los Angeles

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 05:51:42 GMT, "Painius"
wrote:

.. .

Old September 8th 03, 04:07 PM
Rick

Thank you for your responce. Unfortunatly my browser
reporets "no such server" as www.seds.org
Maybe it's just really super busy. Anyway I'll keep trying.
Thanks for your help.

Rick in Los Angeles

Old September 9th 03, 12:22 PM
Odysseus

Benoit Morrissette wrote:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:33:13 GMT, Rick wrote:

I'm looking for a source of information on the local galactic
neighborhood, say within 5,000 light years of the sun.

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/local.html

That page, describing the Local Group of galaxies, would be more
appropriate to a radius of five *million* light-years than five thousand.

--
Odysseus
Old September 10th 03, 11:10 PM
Benoit Morrissette

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:22:06 GMT, Odysseus wrote:

Benoit Morrissette wrote:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:33:13 GMT, Rick wrote:

I'm looking for a source of information on the local galactic
neighborhood, say within 5,000 light years of the sun.

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/local.html

That page, describing the Local Group of galaxies, would be more
appropriate to a radius of five *million* light-years than five thousand.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Got the wrong link! I remember a web site that gives growing
picture of our environment: first Earth and Moon, then the solar system, then
the OOrt cloud then... till the end of the universe. I though it was this one.
Looking in my bookmarks, i cannot find it....

Please, if you know what i an talking about, tell me where i should look!

Benoît Morrissette
Old September 12th 03, 01:29 PM
Odysseus

Benoit Morrissette wrote:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Got the wrong link! I remember a web site that gives growing
picture of our environment: first Earth and Moon, then the solar system, then
the OOrt cloud then... till the end of the universe. I though it was this one.
Looking in my bookmarks, i cannot find it....

Please, if you know what i an talking about, tell me where i should look!

Not the anzwers.org site to which Paine posted a link upthread:

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html ?

Their maps are all on too large a scale to show the solar system in
any detail -- although there's a series that relates the size of our
system to interstellar distances, at

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/stardist.html --

but it fits your description from the 12.5-LY scale on up.

--
Odysseus

Old September 13th 03, 07:10 AM
Painius

"Rick" wrote in message...

Thank you! This...

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html

...is exactly the kind of data I was looking for.

And thanks for the poem also!

Rick in Los Angeles

Pleasure !

--