nuclear space engine - would it work ??

Old October 14th 06, 03:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace

Default nuclear space engine - would it work ??

"Robert Kolker" wrote in message
. ..

I would prefer that Congress did not mug the taxpayer to fund space
missions. If the space mission is profitable then private firms can do the
job much better.

If space missions are profitable, then eventually they will be profitable
for only one company, which will, by then, have bought all the others out.

"There is another theory which states that this is already happening." --
with apologies to the memory of Douglas Adams.

Old October 14th 06, 08:19 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
bombardmentforce

Robert Kolker wrote:
Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Read beyond the Preamble.

I did. There is nothing in the Constitution authorizing congress to fund
manned space flights.

Bob Kolker

Try Article four, section III.

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...stitution.html

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...ry-of-new.html
http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...overnment.html

If we don't expand others, near or far, will. Asimov's End of Eternity
is a good contemplation of failure.

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...y-lyndons.html

Old October 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:57:46 -0500, Robert Kolker
wrote:

Were you thinking of admiting Mars as the 51-st state?

sigh Bob, I'd actually forgotten bombardmentfarce was still out
there until you decided to debate him. He's a proven troll, and most
of us killfiled him long ago. Do us a favor and throw him in your
killfile. You're simply wasting your time and our bandwidth by
replying to him for any reason.

Thanks.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old October 14th 06, 09:55 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
bombardmentforce

Robert Kolker wrote:
bombardmentforce wrote:

Try Article four, section III.

Article 4 section 3:

Section 3. New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union;
but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of
any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more
states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of
the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

Were you thinking of admiting Mars as the 51-st state?

Bob Kolker

Almost 5x-5y, don't want to repeat the mistake of admitting California
as a single too-big state.

Old October 14th 06, 11:47 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , Robert Kolker
writes

What was not intended were laws telling restaurant owners that they
-had- to serve Negroes because they bought their teaspoons in another
state.

You're joking, I hope. Over here a restaurant doesn't have to serve
_anyone_ if they don't want to.
Old October 15th 06, 01:00 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Robert Kolker

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

You're joking, I hope. Over here a restaurant doesn't have to serve
_anyone_ if they don't want to.

I was not kidding. That is the way it went down.

Bob Kolker

Old October 15th 06, 04:51 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Pat Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

What was not intended were laws telling restaurant owners that they
-had- to serve Negroes because they bought their teaspoons in another
state.

You're joking, I hope. Over here a restaurant doesn't have to serve
_anyone_ if they don't want to.

One of the most disgusting things I ever saw in my life was at a
restaurant in Washington D.C.
They had a black waiter who had to serve a table of drunk loudmouthed
Texans, the leader of who said:
"You see that! They've got n***ers working here! They're actually
letting n***ers serve food to people!" in a voice so loud that everyone
in he restaurant could hear it.
The waiter simply took this all, no doubt fearful for losing his job.
I came within about a inch of picking that loud-mouthed asshole up and
throwing him through the nearest window.
I never had felt ashamed to be Caucasian till that moment. He made all
of us look terrible by his actions.
I realized that in our capitol still had a long way to go when it comes
to race relations.
Another moment though was hilarious- the black security guard at the
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum said I had to have my bag
searched before entering the place, and found it held my camera, film, a
can of mixed nuts, and a bag of Hershey's Kisses.
As he was going through it, I was sitting google-eyed staring at the
things in the museum behind his desk:
"LOOK! A X-15! and a DOUGLAS SKYROCKET! And that's GLENN'S MERCURY!"
He turned to my girlfriend and said, with a laugh,: "Somehow, I don't
think _this_ guy is going to blow the place up." :-)

Pat

Old October 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:51:40 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

They had a black waiter who had to serve a table of drunk loudmouthed
Texans, the leader of who said:
"You see that! They've got n***ers working here! They're actually
letting n***ers serve food to people!" in a voice so loud that everyone
in he restaurant could hear it.

....Funny. I see black folks serving food all the time down here. In
fact, my father *and* grandfather hired a whole mess of'em from 1929
to pop's retirement in 1999. And not once did we ever have an incident
like that *or* lose business for it, either in Austin or Houstopolis.
Which means those jerks were probably from certain parts of
Mississippi or Tennessee, or they were really Texans, but were
fraternity punks.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old October 15th 06, 05:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

wrote:

"LOOK! A X-15! and a DOUGLAS SKYROCKET! And that's GLENN'S MERCURY!"
He turned to my girlfriend and said, with a laugh,: "Somehow, I don't
think _this_ guy is going to blow the place up." :-)

....That's the effect I get when I go to Space Center Disney these
days. Half the guys at the front door checking bags recognize me and
my trademark suspenders, ask how I've been, and just usher me through
the door.

Granted, they still ask if I've got a knife on me...:-)

OM
--