Names of lost Space Shuttles and Apollo modules

Old December 5th 03, 12:30 PM
Remy Villeneuve

Default Names of lost Space Shuttles and Apollo modules

Hi,

Just an interesting note:

Apollo 11's Command Module's name, the first manned expedition to land
on the moon, was named Columbia...

Apollo 17's Lunar Module's name, the last manned expedition to land on
the moon, was named Challenger...

No conspiration bull****, just a remark... No need either to ask
"So?"... That's all there is! That's the point of trivia!
Old December 6th 03, 04:14 PM
Andrew Gray

In article 64eAb.23181$ZE1.8135@fed1read04, Charleston wrote:

Way to jinx the Shuttle program, Brian. Now throw salt over your shoulder
every blue moon til we return there;-)

Didn't you listen to Harrison Schmidt? The moon's not blue, it's
orange...

Doh, and don't mention the other two by name.

I'm sorry, but if you're wanting something to have a nice, stable,
well-recorded operational life and not to vanish without trace at the
end of it, well, calling it Atlantis is arguably not a promising start
;-)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old December 6th 03, 08:25 PM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

I'm sorry, but if you're wanting something to have a nice, stable,
well-recorded operational life and not to vanish without trace at the
end of it, well, calling it Atlantis is arguably not a promising start
;-)

"The Titanic Hindenburg"- now _there's_ a name for a shuttle; failing
that, then maybe "Swamp Castle"....or one of those charming names like
those that WW II bomber crews gave their planes..."Our Coffin #3" for
instance, or "Stairway to Heaven"... okay, it should be named after some
vehicle associated with exploration...How about "Italia" or "L'Oiseau
Blanc"? ;-)

Pat

Old December 7th 03, 03:23 AM
Neil Gerace

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

Didn't you listen to Harrison Schmidt? The moon's not blue, it's
orange...

Since it's made of cheese, it could be either colour, or both. Actually the
moon's pretty old, so I'd say most of it is grey by now.

Old December 7th 03, 04:05 AM
Charleston

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..
In article 64eAb.23181$ZE1.8135@fed1read04, Charleston wrote:

Way to jinx the Shuttle program, Brian. Now throw salt over your

shoulder
every blue moon til we return there;-)

Didn't you listen to Harrison Schmidt? The moon's not blue, it's
orange...

Doh, and don't mention the other two by name.

I'm sorry, but if you're wanting something to have a nice, stable,
well-recorded operational life and not to vanish without trace at the
end of it, well, calling it Atlantis is arguably not a promising start
;-)

Can't argue with that logic. Alas I should have made that Discovery on my
own.

Personally I have always felt that they should have named one of the
orbiters Calypso.

With a lineage featuring a Titan-- Atlas how could they go wrong?
http://www.paleothea.com/MinorsA-E.html

I guess giving the French any credit for exploration of the ocean would have
been too much.

--

Daniel
http://www.challengerdisaster.info