[GENESIS] Recovery team is on the ground, visual inspection of Genesis underway.

Old September 8th 04, 05:25 PM
OM

Default [GENESIS] Recovery team is on the ground, visual inspection of Genesis underway.

....Ground team is reporting that neither drogue nor parasail deployed,
and that Genesis is being treated as a live mortar situation. They are
also beginning to take video of the crash site before any disarming
attempts are made.

....MCC is also reporting all reentry telemetry has been safed for
post-failure analysis.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 9th 04, 02:53 PM
Neil Gerace

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...

...MCC is also reporting all reentry telemetry has been safed for
post-failure analysis.

Does 'safed' mean 'kept secret'?

Old September 9th 04, 03:46 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote
in message ...

...MCC is also reporting all reentry telemetry has been safed for
post-failure analysis.

Does 'safed' mean 'kept secret'?

No. It generally means putting disks into read-only mode if possible, etc.

I.e. making sure it can't be changed or deleted in anyway.

There's a chilling (at least to me) part of the post Columbia transcipt
where the FD tells people in the MCC to start safing their equipment.

Old September 10th 04, 02:08 AM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:46:23 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Does 'safed' mean 'kept secret'?

No. It generally means putting disks into read-only mode if possible, etc.

I.e. making sure it can't be changed or deleted in anyway.

There's a chilling (at least to me) part of the post Columbia transcipt
where the FD tells people in the MCC to start safing their equipment.

The same thing happens in the control room at Dryden following an
incident or accident. All the data, flight cards, and other written
material are secured after being marked with location and other data.
The high range folks secure the data tapes, print out copies of the
programs in use, download the ground track mapping data, pull the
audio and video tapes, etc. All of this is then held for the AIB,
usually by the interim AIB.

This possibility is why we never take extra written material into the
control room. We'd have to leave it behind if anything happened and
it would be a long time before we'd see it again.

You're quite right that it's not something you want to hear. I've
never heard it inside the control room, but I was outside, watching,
once when it was announced. It's sort of the coup de grace to that
nasty sinking feeling you already have.

Mary

Old September 10th 04, 02:15 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote:

This possibility is why we never take extra written material into the
control room. We'd have to leave it behind if anything happened and
it would be a long time before we'd see it again.

Similar reason I've been told for not keeping your will in your safe deposit
box.

They can't open the safe deposit box until probate and so getting to the
will can be problematic.

You're quite right that it's not something you want to hear. I've
never heard it inside the control room, but I was outside, watching,
once when it was announced. It's sort of the coup de grace to that
nasty sinking feeling you already have.

I can imagine.

Mary

Old September 10th 04, 02:37 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Similar reason I've been told for not keeping your will in your safe

deposit
box.

They can't open the safe deposit box until probate and so getting to the
will can be problematic.

Having recently gone through this (as the executor), that's not true in

general
The person with the will can just give a copy of the safe deposit box key
to the person appointed, and add their name to the 'is allowed to open the
box' list.

True, I should have qualified it. WIth the two points you mention, it's not
a big deal

It's when the only copy is there that it becomes an issue.

Also, there will typically be a copy of the will in the files of the

lawyer
who drew it up.

This is typically the norm.

(reminds me, need to update ours.)

Paul

Old September 10th 04, 04:19 PM
Louis Scheffer

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" writes:

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message

[Speaking of wills..]

It's when the only copy is there that it becomes an issue.

Also, there will typically be a copy of the will in the files of the

lawyer
who drew it up.

This is typically the norm.

But it does not always help. My mom died about 6 months ago, and my dad
had a copy of the will (from 1964) naming him as beneficiary (Is it not
suspicious, sir, that the ONLY COPY of the will JUST HAPPENS to name you
as the SOLE BENEFICIARY?). In practice, there was no reason of any kind
to even remotely suggest any sort of hanky-panky, and the amount of money
was not large, but never the less they tried quite hard to find the
lawyer's copy. However, he died 20 years ago, after both working on his
own and switching law firms several times, and they never did find it.
Eventually my brother and I had to sign waivers allowing dad's copy to
be used. The money is still tied up as this wends its way through the
bureaucratic process.......

Lou Scheffer