Inside a nebulae.

Old October 5th 03, 04:10 PM
Emanuele D'Arrigo

Default Inside a nebulae.

Dear members of sci.astro.research,

From our point of view inside the milky way, the sky is mostly

dark(ish) (at least in the visible range) punctuated by a few
thousdands stars (unaided vision).

On the other hand, a galaxy like M31, seen from outside,
i.e. from our planet, glows and looks like a single object
even though we know is very similar to our galaxy, made by
many billions and billions of stars.

So, my question is: if we were inside the Orion Nebula,
would the previous analogy hold? Would we see a mostly dark
sky with a few "streaks" of matter where the gas/dust
concentration is higher? Or would we see the whole sky
glowing like a permanent and possibly blinding daylight?

Thanks for your help.

Manu