Sun synchronous explanation

Old May 16th 09, 01:21 PM posted to sci.space.tech
oriel36[_2_]

Default Sun synchronous explanation

The common explanation for satellite 'precession' relies on planetary
spherical deviation -

" The uniformity of sun angle is achieved by tuning natural precession
of the orbit to one full circle per year. Because the Earth rotates,
it is slightly oblate (the equator is slightly longer than it would be
for a perfect sphere), and the extra material near the equator causes
spacecraft that are in inclined orbits to precess "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_synchronous_orbit

The actual cause does not rely on planetary spherical geometry but on
orbital geometry and the specifics of orbital motion. The observed
'precession' is an orbital signature,something akin to an orbital
version of Foucault's pendulum,where the planet orbitally turns
beneath the satellite with each pass.

This insight is gained through observations of Uranus by the HST,where
planetary characteristics such as the equatorial rings and unique
rotational orientation (tilt) along with orbital considerations,such
as distance from Earth and the central Sun,allow for an isolation of
the orbital specific.

This observation is crucial for climate purposes as well as replacing
the correlation between spherical deviation and satellite 'precession'
with a more satisfactory explanation.

Old May 16th 09, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Jorge R. Frank

oriel36 wrote:
The common explanation for satellite 'precession' relies on planetary
spherical deviation -

" The uniformity of sun angle is achieved by tuning natural precession
of the orbit to one full circle per year. Because the Earth rotates,
it is slightly oblate (the equator is slightly longer than it would be
for a perfect sphere), and the extra material near the equator causes
spacecraft that are in inclined orbits to precess "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_synchronous_orbit

The actual cause does not rely on planetary spherical geometry but on
orbital geometry and the specifics of orbital motion. The observed
'precession' is an orbital signature,something akin to an orbital
version of Foucault's pendulum,where the planet orbitally turns
beneath the satellite with each pass.

Nice try. Astrodynamicists already account for the apparent motion of
the orbital plane due to Earth's rotation. The precession of the line of
nodes is *on top of* that, and the effect is quite real.

The new s.s.tech fails its first major test: not just getting punk'd by
a net.k00k, but a net.k00k with a long history of spreading his k00kery
on sci.space.*

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&scoring =&lr=&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&a s_miny=2009&as_maxd=1&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2009&as_ug roup=sci.space.*&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=kelleher .gerald%40gmail.com&safe=off

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
Approved, but I will say we weren't punked. I allowed this thread so it could be debunked. I don't see much point in extending this thread further though. (I should have commented when I approved the original article btw.) Oh and Jorge, you should see some of the stuff that IS rejected. Makes this look rational and sane. :-)

Old May 17th 09, 04:59 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Kevin Willoughby

==================== MODERATOR'S COMMENT: Approved,
but I will say we weren't punked. I allowed this thread [...]

Which of the three moderators wrote this?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

It doesn't take many trips in Air Force One
to spoil you. -- Ronald Reagan

My Bad. GDM. Sorry.