The Earth-Mars distance, and the August 27 event (Forwarded)

Old August 26th 03, 10:50 PM
Andrew Yee

Default The Earth-Mars distance, and the August 27 event (Forwarded)

Observatoire de Paris
Paris, France

12th August 2003

The Earth-Mars distance, and the August 27 event

Primer on Mars oppositions

1. Mars oppositions
2. Duration between two oppositions
3. Earth-Mars distance at opposition
4. Favorable oppositions
5. Earth-Mars distance at favorable oppositions
6. Earth-Mars distance evolution over 1 million year
7. Remarkable dates

Details are available at
http://www.imcce.fr/Equipes/ASD/mars/oppo_en.html

Old August 28th 03, 11:13 PM
Bart Mathias

"Andrew Yee" writes:

Observatoire de Paris
Paris, France

12th August 2003

The Earth-Mars distance, and the August 27 event

Primer on Mars oppositions

Comparisons of oppositions aren't that hard to find, but I was hoping
to find some opposition to the media hype.

I've heard a number of man-in-the-street type comments the last
couple of days like the one at the beach this morning where one
person told another that by not looking at Mars last night she had
"missed it."

Where can I find day-by-day distances and apparent disk-diameters for
late August-early September? I suspect it would take several days,
maybe weeks, before or after for the difference to be perceptible to
the casual observer.

Bart Mathias