missing tiles

Old July 14th 06, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.moderated
David J Bush

Default missing tiles

The above is the "Astronomy Picture of the Day"

It's an animated .gif of the shuttle just as the solid boosters
are jettisoned.

The image doesn't exactly inspire me. It scares the #### out
of me. Look at all those missing tiles! There's a whole line of
them gone along the belly, near the main tank (which is still
attached.)
..

Old July 14th 06, 07:50 AM posted to sci.space.moderated
Pat Flannery

David J Bush wrote:

The above is the "Astronomy Picture of the Day"

It's an animated .gif of the shuttle just as the solid boosters
are jettisoned.

First off, the view is from long after SRB separation as the size of the
Earth's horizon shows.
Next the venting of the tank shows that atmospheric pressure at this
point of the Shuttle's ascent was damn near zero.
Third, your "missing tiles" are new black-covered tiles that replaced
older tiles after they were replaced after damage in earlier flights as
a part of routine maintenance.

Pat

Old July 14th 06, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
Jim Kingdon

Look at all those missing tiles! There's a whole line of
them gone along the belly, near the main tank (which is still
attached.)

Uh, what missing tiles?

In the early frames of this animation (yes, if you just see a single
image you aren't seeing the whole thing), there is a light colored
line parallel to the tank, but that is just sunlight. Or are you
talking about the dark colored tiles? (If so, yeah, those are newer
tiles, as has been commented on, I guess in sci.space.shuttle).

Old July 14th 06, 03:58 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
Jim Kingdon

First off, the view is from long after SRB separation as the size of
the Earth's horizon shows.
Next the venting of the tank shows that atmospheric pressure at this
point of the Shuttle's ascent was damn near zero.

???

The view is taken by the SRB's, according to the caption and the logic
of "what else could be taking the photos?".

The first image is quite close up, so it must be right
before/during/after SRB separation.

I'm not sure where to look up the (approximate) altitude and
atmospheric pressure at SRB separation, but I would guess "above most
of the atmosphere" which would account for the horizon and venting.

Old July 14th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
Pat Flannery

Jim Kingdon wrote:

First off, the view is from long after SRB separation as the size of
the Earth's horizon shows.
Next the venting of the tank shows that atmospheric pressure at this
point of the Shuttle's ascent was damn near zero.

???

The view is taken by the SRB's, according to the caption and the logic
of "what else could be taking the photos?".

Okay, I'd been drinking...so cut me a little slack here, would ya? :-)

Pat

Old July 15th 06, 04:29 AM posted to sci.space.moderated
Jim Kingdon

Okay, I'd been drinking...so cut me a little slack here, would ya? :-)

No, no, you came up with a very cogent argument, full of supporting
evidence like venting of the tank, and with few misspellings so I kept
asking myself "am I missing something?".