$110 Million to Retire?

Old April 16th 05, 07:00 PM
Von Fourche

Default $110 Million to Retire?

Don't you wish you could be paid $110 million to retire like NASA's DART
Mission? And if successful it was only supposed to last twenty-four hours
before expending battery life and fuel? For $110 million it better last
longer than that.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_050415.html

Old April 16th 05, 10:16 PM
gb

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
ink.net...

Don't you wish you could be paid $110 million to retire like NASA's DART
Mission? And if successful it was only supposed to last twenty-four hours
before expending battery life and fuel? For $110 million it better last
longer than that.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_050415.html

At least the L-1011 landed safely.

gb

Old April 16th 05, 11:09 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"Von Fourche" wrote in
ink.net:

Don't you wish you could be paid $110 million to retire like NASA's
DART Mission? And if successful it was only supposed to last
twenty-four hours before expending battery life and fuel? For $110
million it better last longer than that.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_050415.html

Gee, if we only knew in advance which spacecraft would succeed and which
would fail, then we could only fund the successful ones and save the money!

Moron.

plonk

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old April 16th 05, 11:52 PM
Jim Oberg

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote
Gee, if we only knew in advance which spacecraft would succeed and which
would fail, then we could only fund the successful ones and save the

money!

And if we knew which rendezvous missions were going to intrude
into the 'Mcdivitt Quadrant', we could shoot the designers pre-launch
and re-hire MIT's CSDL.

Old April 17th 05, 12:56 AM
Pat Flannery

Von Fourche wrote:

Don't you wish you could be paid $110 million to retire like NASA's DART
Mission? And if successful it was only supposed to last twenty-four hours
before expending battery life and fuel? For $110 million it better last
longer than that.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_050415.html

Remember that fuss in the Senate a couple of months back regarding the
secret satellite project to sneak stealth satellites up to foreign ones
where they would give them the once-over and disable them if wished?
DART sounds a lot like step one of that program.

Pat
Old April 17th 05, 01:05 AM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Gee, if we only knew in advance which spacecraft would succeed and which
would fail, then we could only fund the successful ones and save the money!

At least they _say_ it's dead....but now that the stealth cover has
extended itself, the ion engines have kicked in, and the tiny 5 mm
recoilless machine gun has been armed....well...let's just say that the
owners of any satellites broadcasting Al-Jazeera might want to check up
on their insurance status... ;-)

Pat
Old April 17th 05, 01:22 AM
Ed Kyle

Pat Flannery wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:

Don't you wish you could be paid $110 million to retire like NASA's

DART
Mission? And if successful it was only supposed to last twenty-four

hours
before expending battery life and fuel? For $110 million it better

last
longer than that.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_050415.html

Remember that fuss in the Senate a couple of months back regarding

the
secret satellite project to sneak stealth satellites up to foreign

ones
where they would give them the once-over and disable them if wished?
DART sounds a lot like step one of that program.

XSS-11, a similar DoD project that apparently hasn't
failed, is more likely to be that step than DART,
which is a NASA program. It would be amazingly
hard, if not impossible, to hide a secret project
via. NASA.

- Ed Kyle

Old April 17th 05, 07:28 AM
Pat Flannery

Ed Kyle wrote:

XSS-11, a similar DoD project that apparently hasn't
failed, is more likely to be that step than DART,
which is a NASA program. It would be amazingly
hard, if not impossible, to hide a secret project
via. NASA.

Read "The Corona Project" sometime...hide in plain site. Once the
taped-on craft paper comes off of the Canaveral launched Discover
satellites camera aperture, they amazingly transform into recon sats
during first stage burn.
Besides, nowadays who gives a hoot in hell about even disguising a
military purpose for our space program's military attachments?
Frankly, I don't really have a problem with designing something along
the lines of the old SAINT program- it's a non-nuclear capability that
might act as a deterrent to war....the Chinese have already realized the
military aspects of satellites and satellite negation in the modern
world: http://www.spacewar.com/news/cyberwar-05j.html

Pat
Old April 17th 05, 10:20 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Pat Flannery
writes

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Gee, if we only knew in advance which spacecraft would succeed and
which would fail, then we could only fund the successful ones and save
the money!

At least they _say_ it's dead....but now that the stealth cover has
extended itself, the ion engines have kicked in, and the tiny 5 mm
recoilless machine gun has been armed....well...let's just say that the
owners of any satellites broadcasting Al-Jazeera might want to check up
on their insurance status... ;-)

Quite so. One wouldn't want to see both sides of a story.
Old April 17th 05, 06:18 PM
Jim Davis

Pat Flannery wrote:

Read "The Corona Project" sometime...hide in plain site. Once
the taped-on craft paper comes off of the Canaveral launched
Discover satellites camera aperture, they amazingly transform
into recon sats during first stage burn.

Are you sure *you* read "The Corona Project"? All CORONA missions
were launched from Vandenberg, all were launched by the DoD, NASA had
no connection.

Jim Davis