I'm loving this anticyclone

Old December 21st 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Weatherlawyer

Default I'm loving this anticyclone

Will Hand wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
s.com...
Will Hand wrote:

Well at first I thought it would be boring, but the boundary layer variation
and subtleties are fascinating. Better get used to it folks, it looks like
it could hang around till January.

What are your thoughts on it drifting north, Will?

I feel the high will stay more or less where it is. Or even move west a tad.
Could be wrong though!

It should run through to the 27th and then tend toward a thundery spell
but the conditions for them are slightly different are they not? Here
are the times of those lunar phases:
New moon: Dec 20th 14:01
First quarter: Dec 27th 14:48

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...hases2001.html

So if it does last, it will move west. And as for moving north, that
might be dependent on the lunar declination (its position compared to
the equator - which as it happens is similar to that of the sun's at
the moment; so it can only rise (and possibly bring the weather with
it.))
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar

As it also happens, the most interesting day as far as the lunar
declination is concerned is on the 25th. The moon will be at some 60
degrees to us then.

(Can someone tell me what "Delta" signifies in these tables:
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...hases2001.html)

Old December 22nd 06, 02:27 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
davehowes

This is a good explanation of delta-t. Better than I could do anyway.
Happy Christmas, clear skies and all that...

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Will Hand wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
s.com...

Old December 22nd 06, 02:31 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
davehowes

Sorry, forgot to include the link. D'oh!

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...lp/deltaT.html

davehowes wrote:

This is a good explanation of delta-t. Better than I could do anyway.
Happy Christmas, clear skies and all that...

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Will Hand wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
s.com...

Old December 22nd 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Weatherlawyer

davehowes wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

(Can someone tell me what "Delta" signifies in these tables:
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...hases2001.html)

This is a good explanation of delta-t. Better than I could do anyway.
Happy Christmas, clear skies and all that...

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...lp/deltaT.html

If you can explain how to apply it I may just forgive you top posting.

How am I supposed to view the tables? Are they corrected and delta is
there for a reference or are they supposed to be added or subtracted?

Yes I know that the tables wouldn't be prepared inaccurately. It does
seem rather daft preparing tables of lunar phases that might well be
several hours out though:

"It is important to pay attention to the differences in delta T,
depending on the author especially when studying old eclipses, say
before AD 1000.

In AD 1500 there is a difference of 95 seconds between the values given
by Stephenson & Houlden in 1986 and those by Stephenson in 1997;

In AD 1000 the difference is only 25 seconds between the values given
by Stephenson & Houlden and Stephenson, but there is a difference of
almost 200 seconds with the Jones' values;

In AD 500 the difference between the Stephensons & Houlden (1986) and
Stephenson (1997) values amount to 1123 seconds, while the difference
with Jones' values reach 818 seconds;

For the earlier centuries the differences are rapidly increasing to
exceed 11400 seconds (this is more than 3 hours !!) around 2000 BC.

When studying ancient eclipses it is important to keep these
uncertainties in mind."

http://user.online.be/felixverbelen/dt.htm