Jupiter & Ganymede

Old October 27th 10, 03:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Pont[_5_]

Default Jupiter & Ganymede

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:41:58 +0100, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg....php?counter=0 (second pic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

The C stands for Cassegrain. It's a reflector with a clear corrector
plate at the front covering the opening. There are Schmidt-Cassegrains
and Maksutov-Cassegrains and they have different types of corrector
plates.

Get yourself a copy of the November issue of the BBC Sky at Night
Magazine, it has all about telescopes this month.

Pete Lawrence also does a monthly article on astrophotography.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old October 27th 10, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Paulo J. Matos

"Rodney Pont" writes:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:41:58 +0100, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg....php?counter=0 (second pic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

The C stands for Cassegrain. It's a reflector with a clear corrector
plate at the front covering the opening. There are Schmidt-Cassegrains
and Maksutov-Cassegrains and they have different types of corrector
plates.

Get yourself a copy of the November issue of the BBC Sky at Night
Magazine, it has all about telescopes this month.

Pete Lawrence also does a monthly article on astrophotography.

Great, thanks for the magazine suggestion and explanation.

--
PMatos
Old October 27th 10, 05:18 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Mark Ayliffe[_2_]

On or about 2010-10-27,
Paulo J. Matos illuminated us with:

Sorry for tracking you down online but what kind of telescope do you
have here?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.ay...s/BENQ1022.JPG

That's just a cheap hand-held thing that happens to project the sun
well without melting anything inside itself. It was a great way to
follow the Venus transit, but fairly useless for anything else
astronomical. I wouldn't try doing that with anything expensive due to
the possibility of damaging something by heating it inside. I used
that setup to show the event to some of the children at our local
school.

--
Mark
Real email address | You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and
Old October 28th 10, 09:06 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Mark Ayliffe writes:

That's just a cheap hand-held thing that happens to project the sun
well without melting anything inside itself. It was a great way to
follow the Venus transit, but fairly useless for anything else
astronomical. I wouldn't try doing that with anything expensive due to
the possibility of damaging something by heating it inside. I used
that setup to show the event to some of the children at our local
school.

Awesome setup!

--
PMatos
Old October 28th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
John Aldridge

In article ,
says...
Mark Ayliffe writes:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg....php?counter=0 (second pic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

Nearly. A C14 (http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=114) is a
particular model of telescope made by Celestron. This picture appears to
be of a roughly equivalent Meade.

--
Cheers,
John
Old October 29th 10, 04:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Oct 28, 12:30*pm, John Aldridge wrote:
In article ,
says...

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

Nearly. A C14 (http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=114) is a
particular model of telescope made by Celestron. This picture appears to
be of a roughly equivalent Meade.

To me, that photograph doesn't look like anything past an 11-incher.
Meade makes a 16-inch SCT, but I didn't think it ever made a 14-inch
SCT. Maybe the club does own a C14, and they accidentally put a
picture of a smaller Meade on the web site instead.

Ah, but a web search

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantbrummett/4524575304/

tells me I'm mistaken, and Meade does make 14 inch SCTs.

John Savard
Old December 18th 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
toschi

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 13:50:02 +0100, Pete Lawrence wrote:

Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter I
took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This particular
shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was exiting from
Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

really nice. Please keep posting!
Old December 19th 10, 12:59 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Marty[_3_]

On Oct 27, 7:41*am, (Paulo J. Matos) wrote:
Mark Ayliffe writes:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg...unter=0(second pic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

--
PMatos

Incredible! Looks like you WENT
Old December 19th 10, 01:01 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Marty[_3_]

On Dec 18, 5:59*pm, Marty wrote:
On Oct 27, 7:41*am, (Paulo J. Matos) wrote:

Mark Ayliffe writes:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg...er=0(secondpic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

--
PMatos

Incredible! *Looks like you WENT

I meant to say it looks like you WENT there!
me and laptops...
Marty