Front Page London Times

Old September 3rd 07, 07:27 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Mulhearn

Default Front Page London Times

Andy Guthrie wrote:
Fleetie wrote:

To return to the original subject, I also read this today on the BBC, and
later saw it cited on Slashdot, and I was horrified. IMO, it really is
undeniable that the standard of GCSEs and like exams is falling. I was
in the last year to do O-levels, and for maths, we had to do differential
calculus. Apparently that's never been in GCSE maths. And it's a very
big, important subject and a very useful concept.

Are you sure it wasn't "Additional Maths" O level ? I don't remember
doing calculus as part of the basic Maths GCE (O&C 1979).

I did Differential and Integral calculus in O level maths in 1976.

--
Andy
Old September 3rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Guthrie

Fleetie wrote:
"Andy Guthrie" wrote
Fleetie wrote:
To return to the original subject, I also read this today on the BBC, and
later saw it cited on Slashdot, and I was horrified. IMO, it really is
undeniable that the standard of GCSEs and like exams is falling. I was
in the last year to do O-levels, and for maths, we had to do differential
calculus. Apparently that's never been in GCSE maths. And it's a very
big, important subject and a very useful concept.

Are you sure it wasn't "Additional Maths" O level ? I don't remember doing calculus as part of the basic Maths GCE (O&C 1979).

Absolutely sure. I did also do additional ("AO") maths O-level. This was in
Kent in 1987. AO maths also had integration, which wasn't in the O-level.

I'm going to dig out my old papers.