gratitude etc. (was Apollo: One gas environment?)

Old May 13th 04, 08:29 PM
Doug...

om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...

snip

...Didn't Somalia used to be the Belgian Congo? Hell, those national
names in Africa change at the drop of a dictator anyway.

I thought that what used to be the Belgian Congo became Zaire. But I
could be wrong.

Doug

Old May 13th 04, 08:44 PM
Doug...

In article , says...
In article ,
Scott Hedrick wrote:

Which has what to do with what was said? If Canadians are Americans, then
they need to start drinking our beer.

I tried drinking US beer once ... it was an awful experience, the alcohol
content is so low, that I was sobering up faster than I could drink
the stuff ... :-)

You must have a pretty strong constitution -- it's quite easy to get and
stay drunk on American beer, if you drink it fast enough. I speak not
only from personal experience but also from personal observation.

Seriously though, the only main-stream beer down there that seem
potable is Samuel Adams. The rest seem even worse than our mass-market
Labatt and Molson products (which I didn't think was possible!)

I like a good Sam Adams every once in a while -- it has a good taste.
But not only is Budweiser beer the biggest seller in the U.S., I believe
it's one of the biggest selling beers worldwide. I can't explain it --
the stuff is weak and watery, and I won't drink it unless it's the
*only* beer available. As is most American beer. But Miller Genuine
Draft actually has a decent flavor for being a weak American beer, and
there are some American ales (such as Summit Ale) that have a really
fine, full-bodied flavor.

(which reminds me ... how come they don't put the alcohol content
on US beer bottles ... and just how low does a light beer get there?

Light beer is arrived at by using less sugars and grains in the brewing
process, IIRC, thereby reducing the overall calories. However, I
believe that beer in the U.S. has a standard alcohol content that all
brands are supposed to match. If a beer doesn't have that specific
alcohol content (something like 6%, or 12 proof), it is marked as such;
for example, in many states they have what's called "3.2 beer" that has
a 3.2% alcohol content. In Minnesota, for a long time, you could serve
3.2 beer without getting a full liquor license.

Personally, my favorite beer is Foster's. I know that the Foster's I
drink here in the States isn't made in Australia, it's made in Canada
(by the Molson company, IIRC), but I just happen to like the flavor.
It's got a decent alcohol content (something in the range of 10-12%) and
has a full-bodied grain taste that's not completely overwhelmed by the
bitter hop taste that ruins so many full-bodied beers for me.

Doug

Old May 13th 04, 08:53 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Doug... wrote:
In article , says...
In article ,
Scott Hedrick wrote:

I tried drinking US beer once ... it was an awful experience, the alcohol
content is so low, that I was sobering up faster than I could drink
the stuff ... :-)

You must have a pretty strong constitution -- it's quite easy to get and
stay drunk on American beer, if you drink it fast enough. I speak not
only from personal experience but also from personal observation.

Well, to tell the truth, on the occasion in question, I'd already had
three or four regular 5% beers ... and by that point, I'm pretty
happy, having quite a low tolerance to alcohol, and I just don't consume
beer that fast at that point ... about one an hour to stay happy ...
however I was actually sobering up ... it was quite surprising!

I like a good Sam Adams every once in a while -- it has a good taste.
But not only is Budweiser beer the biggest seller in the U.S., I believe
it's one of the biggest selling beers worldwide. I can't explain it --
the stuff is weak and watery, and I won't drink it unless it's the
*only* beer available.

The same is true in Canada. The best selling beers, traditionally
have been Molson's and Labatt's products, that have poor taste, and/or
a terrible aftertaste. In the 1970's, it seems that was all that
was available ... but I don't understand how anyone can drink the stuff
these days, with the choices now.

As is most American beer. But Miller Genuine

Light beer is arrived at by using less sugars and grains in the brewing
process, IIRC, thereby reducing the overall calories. However, I
believe that beer in the U.S. has a standard alcohol content that all
brands are supposed to match. If a beer doesn't have that specific
alcohol content (something like 6%, or 12 proof), it is marked as such;
for example, in many states they have what's called "3.2 beer" that has
a 3.2% alcohol content. In Minnesota, for a long time, you could serve
3.2 beer without getting a full liquor license.

Well, it was Florida I was in, that I was surprised to see a lack
of alcohol %'s. (perhaps I've never noticed before).

Personally, my favorite beer is Foster's. I know that the Foster's I
drink here in the States isn't made in Australia, it's made in Canada
(by the Molson company, IIRC), but I just happen to like the flavor.
It's got a decent alcohol content (something in the range of 10-12%)

5-6%, surely ...

Nick
Old May 13th 04, 08:57 PM
Doug...

says...

Scott Hedrick wrote:

It gets worse- try the Americanized versions of imports. I've had imported
Killian's Irish Red- the crap that Coors passes off is Coors Light with food
coloring.

Bass is just plain sneaky. You can toss down a half-dozen and pass a
breathalyzer- then it attacks all at once.

Try Canadian Moosehead, that stuff packs a wallop also.
SCTV parody ad:
"And another one's gone,
And another one's gone,
Another one drinks a Moose."
The key with good American beer is to avoid the major manufacturers and
go for the smaller breweries- who actually can make stuff that doesn't
have to be inoffensive to all and sundry; in that group there are some
very good beers, ales, and porters available.

Yeah, there are a lot of very good small and microbreweries in the U.S.
That may be one reason why there are no large beer brands that feature
really good beers; the high-end beer market is served by the small and
microbreweries, while the big guys (like Anheuser Busch and Miller
Brewing) make their money off the high-volume sales of the weak-ass crap
that Americans like to drink.

Seriously though, the only main-stream beer down there that seem
potable is Samuel Adams.

SA's pretty good.

Maybe it's gotten more robust, but when they first brought it out I had
some, and I found it weak in character.

I dunno, I thought it had a decent bite. I do think it's gotten more
full-bodied as time has gone on, though.

The rest seem even worse than our mass-market

Labatt and Molson products (which I didn't think was possible!)

The best thing about Lablatt is the commercials.

....and the worst is "The Skunk"; an unpleasant smell that most Canadian
beer seems to develop if it's not consumed fairly quickly after it's
bottled.

Skunky beer isn't limited to Canadian beer. I once spent an entire
Minicon (Minnesota's large science fiction convention) with nothing
available from the con suite except for Pig's Eye Beer (made by a local
small brewery). That stuff smelled and tasted so skunky, it was beyond
belief! Got you drunk, though.

Pig's Eye, by the way, was the original name of the small settlement
that later became known as St. Paul, Minnesota.

snip

If I were a trucker, I'd keep a case of Guinness handy as an emergency
source of diesel.

Aye lad, Guinness! Now that's what a man _should_ be drinking... :-)

Now, I like the taste of Guinness, but it has an aftertaste that I
really hate. I compare it to someone taking some Mississippi
riverbottom mud and adding a good dollop of Everclear to it -- it's a
nasty, flavorless, bitter-and-nothing-else kind of aftertaste that I
just cannot stand. However, add a good amount of Bass or Summit Ale to
a glass of Guinness, and you get a black-and-tan that I just LOVE! For
some reason, the lighter ale makes the Guinness lose that aftertaste,
for me.

Doug

Old May 13th 04, 09:00 PM
Doug...

In article , says...

Well, there is the issue of who knew, which (pending new information
that could pop up any moment) suggests that only a few low-level prison
guards did nasty things, vs. those who should set policy such that it is
abundantly clear that torture chambers and rape rooms are absolutely,
unequivocally, *NOT* acceptable. The latter goes to the very top. Not
just the Secretary of Defense, but to the President, and even the entire
American voting public.

The Geneva conventions, the FM on the Law of Land Warfare, and a number of
Army Regulations make it abundantly clear that those things are not
acceptable. There was a failure to properly educate the soldiers involved in
the correct and legal procedures.

I *know* that anyone who graduates from an American service academy has
been well-trained in what constitutes an illegal order, and how to
respond if you are given an illegal order by your superiors. I also
know that recruits and draftees *used to* get a lecture on the subject
as part of their classroom studies (at least they did 30 years ago). Is
there anyone out there reading this ng who has gone through basic
training recently and can tell us if they still train the grunts on what
an illegal order is and what you should do if you receive one?

BTW -- one of the things about illegal orders is that, should you decide
to obey an illegal order, you can not under *any* circumstances avoid
prosecution for your actions using the defense of "I was just following
orders." So, even if you are *ordered* to commit atrocities and/or
torture prisoners, if you obey those orders you are, indeed, responsible
for your actions and can be prosecuted for your violations of the U.S.
Military Code.

Doug

Old May 13th 04, 09:04 PM
Ami Silberman

"Doug..." wrote in message
That's not a question of kosher, Pat -- it's a question of edible. I
think the most commonly available food that violates the most kosher
rules in one package is a bacon cheeseburger.

The most unkosher, and unhallal, cuisine that I've had is Portuguese.
Everything has either cream sauce, wine, pork, shellfish, or possibly all
four. And for our Mormon and 7th Day Adventist diners, dinner is usually
followed by espresso.

Old May 13th 04, 10:04 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Aye lad, Guinness! Now that's what a man _should_ be drinking... :-)

Always ask for a second glass and keep some pantyhose handy for filtering.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM