ASTRO: Request a pic of IC 418

Old November 27th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

Default ASTRO: Request a pic of IC 418

If anyone has done this little guy below Orion. Saw it the other night...

--

G.

Old November 27th 06, 06:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

This would be a very difficult object. Normal exposure times would blow
out the central star making it nearly as big as the nebula if not
bigger. See the POSS2 plate for an example.
http://stdatu.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss_search?v=poss2ukstu_red&r=05+27+28.20&d=-12+41+50.3&e=J2000&h=15.0&w=15.0&f=gif&c=none&fov= NONE&v3=

Only by taking many very short exposures at a very long focal length
could a photo of this little guy be done I'd think. I remember seeing a
shot made from tv images taken with the 8.3 meter Subaru scope. Try
Google images as I bet it is listed there. As I recall it didn't begin
to show the detail Hubble saw.

Very narrow band filters might kill the central star enough that an
image in OIII and HII could be made of it. Even then I'd expect there'd
be a need to keep the exposure time very short and stack a great number
of images.

You've come up with a challenging object! It may be a case with this
guy that the eye is better than the camera, at least when looking
through a lot of atmosphere.

Rick

Old November 28th 06, 07:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

Wasn't trying to, but I had a look at it with my celestron gps 11" S&C. I could see what looked like
a bubble. I really wondered if anyone was able to get a picture of this...
Really need to magnify it and have a good steady dark sky night. I hoping to see some detail...

Old November 28th 06, 07:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

G wrote:

Wasn't trying to, but I had a look at it with my celestron gps 11" S&C. I could see what looked like
a bubble. I really wondered if anyone was able to get a picture of this...
Really need to magnify it and have a good steady dark sky night. I hoping to see some detail...

It's a pretty interesting visual planetary that I've seen several times
but at about 12" across it is very small but at 250x shows some detail,
mainly a brighter outer ring that seems to have two bright points on the
east and west sides as I recall, haven't checked my notes which are in a
different computer. I've never seen any hint of the spirograph detail
in the Hubble image nor would I expect to. A star as bright as it's
central star would bloom in my 14" to where it is that size in only a
few seconds making the planetary invisible. It would take dozens of
stacked very short exposures to get much. Quite a challenging object to
photograph. Since my slow seeing is about 3.5" on even a good night
that wouldn't allow much detail even then.

Rick