How can a universe exist?

Old November 1st 03, 12:29 AM
Phyloe

"Ariel" wrote in message

"Phyloe" wrote in message

"ck26" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking philosophically here, but scientific explanations would

be
most
helpful perhaps. Basically the inconceivable part of the big bang

theory
/
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to

exist.
It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become

matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding

at
its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can

something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the

scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on

the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the

universe).

The answer is really very simple. Magic. It's all done with Magic.
Phyloe

LOL!
To the original poster, and to all those who like the topic, I recommend
reading Hawking's "Universe in a nutshell" . Very good, illustrative, and
intelligently written.

Old November 1st 03, 03:50 PM
Carusus

"ck26" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking philosophically here, but scientific explanations would be

most
helpful perhaps. Basically the inconceivable part of the big bang theory /
universe / time beginning, etc is how can something just begin to exist.

It
must have come from nothing. And can can literally no matter become matter
from out of nowhere. I just can't conceive of the universe expanding at

its
edges - what is on the otherside of that edge - nothing? How can something
expand into where nothing is? There's nowhere to go?!

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks like this - what are the scientific
explanations - if any concerning matter from nowhere and what is on the
otherside of everything (ie the otherside of the outskirts of the

universe).

Of course you can't. You're part of it. A mirror can't reflect itself. You'd
have to be somewhere else to imagine a "universe", and there is nowhere else

Old November 1st 03, 09:27 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

To think reality the universe can exist in this space time because it
has accelerating expansion. Bert

Old November 1st 03, 09:27 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Old November 4th 03, 09:43 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Every universe can exist because it made room for at least one
intelligent life form in its spacetime history. A universe without this
feature need not exist. My mind tells me this is not reality,and comes
under QM uncertainty principle. So I'll add this. A universe without
intelligent life is a cosmic void. That type of no life universe is a
waste of time and space. Bert

Old November 4th 03, 10:52 PM
mykrowyre

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Every universe can exist because it made room for at least one
intelligent life form in its spacetime history. A universe without this
feature need not exist. My mind tells me this is not reality,and comes
under QM uncertainty principle. So I'll add this. A universe without
intelligent life is a cosmic void. That type of no life universe is a
waste of time and space. Bert

Welcome to my ignore list which I consider it a cosmic void similar to
your description.

Tom

Old November 5th 03, 03:13 AM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Every universe can exist because it made room for at least one
intelligent life form in its spacetime history. A universe without this
feature need not exist. My mind tells me this is not reality,and comes
under QM uncertainty principle. So I'll add this. A universe without
intelligent life is a cosmic void. That type of no life universe is a
waste of time and space. Bert

So if a tree falls in the woods...

BV.