Huh? Galileo's in a "tight orbit" around the core of Jupiter...

Old December 21st 04, 03:19 PM
Reed Snellenberger

Default Huh? Galileo's in a "tight orbit" around the core of Jupiter...

I know, I know... but there ought to be a law against re-using the names
of successful missions.

--
Reed Snellenberger
GPG KeyID: 5A978843
Old December 21st 04, 03:24 PM
Reed Snellenberger

Reed Snellenberger wrote:
I know, I know... but there ought to be a law against re-using the names
of successful missions.

Sorry... that was a reply to a Jacques van Oene s.s.news article about
the European Galileo variant. I'd guess that the group is mod'ed with
follow-ups sent here, eh?

Old December 22nd 04, 11:50 PM
Sander Vesik

Reed Snellenberger wrote:
Reed Snellenberger wrote:
I know, I know... but there ought to be a law against re-using the names
of successful missions.

Sorry... that was a reply to a Jacques van Oene s.s.news article about
the European Galileo variant. I'd guess that the group is mod'ed with
follow-ups sent here, eh?

Uhh.. it would be quite tough job telling Europeans they can't
name a *navigation* satellite system after Galileo just because
somebody also used such a name for a deep space probe.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old December 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
Henry Spencer

Sander Vesik wrote:
Uhh.. it would be quite tough job telling Europeans they can't
name a *navigation* satellite system after Galileo just because
somebody also used such a name for a deep space probe.

Especially since Galileo was a European. As was Cassini.

"If you troublesome Americans want exclusive rights to the names, you
have to pay royalties. In Euros or gold bullion."
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 24th 04, 04:46 AM
Reed Snellenberger

Henry Spencer wrote:
In article ,
Sander Vesik wrote:

Uhh.. it would be quite tough job telling Europeans they can't
name a *navigation* satellite system after Galileo just because
somebody also used such a name for a deep space probe.

Especially since Galileo was a European. As was Cassini.

"If you troublesome Americans want exclusive rights to the names, you
have to pay royalties. In Euros or gold bullion."

I didn't suggest it was anything but annoying that Galileo was being
"re-used". Annoyance at things European isn't an unusual condition in
most of the rest of the planet... :-)