To the moon on a pocket calculator

Old August 24th 03, 02:25 AM
G.Beat

Default FWD: Micro Telescope Completes Major In-Orbit Milestone

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
(Catching up after vacation...)

In article ,
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote:
Thanks, on behalf of everyone. (And I should add that my role in MOST was
modest, and I'm not involved in the commissioning work, so most of the
credit properly goes to others, at Dynacon and SFL.)

Now, for the big question: how'd the Zoology department get involved
with a project like this anyway? :-)

Despite my historical association with the Zoology department, I've been
freelance for a decade now, so I'm afraid there's no connection,
disappointing though that may be. :-)
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |

Hah, my BS is in Zoology (Protozoology) - but the minor in Physics/Chemistry
(and early WATFOR / WATFIV FORTRAN & BASIC programming)
was just as much fun ! ...
happens when you make college choices in 1973 and just watch Cernan say
good-bye.

Congrats Henry, and as a member of AMSAT-NA, glad we could help in an
advisory capacity for the MOST project.

GB

Old August 25th 03, 12:45 AM
Jan Philips

Default To the moon on a pocket calculator

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:18:34 GMT, "Steven D. Litvintchouk"
wrote:

But the first pocket calculators just didn't have enough memory to be
able to parse an algebraic expression with operator precedence and
nested parentheses. Prior to RPN, the affordable pocket calculators
just did simple chained calculations left-to-right, without operator
precedence.

I still have the very first hand-held calculator I ever saw - a TI
SR-10 I got in 1973, and it has operator precedence.

Old August 25th 03, 03:56 AM
G.Beat

wrote:

But the first pocket calculators just didn't have enough memory to be
able to parse an algebraic expression with operator precedence and
nested parentheses. Prior to RPN, the affordable pocket calculators
just did simple chained calculations left-to-right, without operator
precedence.

I still have the very first hand-held calculator I ever saw - a TI
SR-10 I got in 1973, and it has operator precedence.

Jan -

You are correct Slide Rule (SR) 10 , I will have to see if I still have the
old SR-11
in storage (or if my brother still has it)

gb

Old August 26th 03, 03:01 AM
Steven D. Litvintchouk

wrote:

But the first pocket calculators just didn't have enough memory to be
able to parse an algebraic expression with operator precedence and
nested parentheses. Prior to RPN, the affordable pocket calculators
just did simple chained calculations left-to-right, without operator
precedence.

I still have the very first hand-held calculator I ever saw - a TI
SR-10 I got in 1973, and it has operator precedence.

There were earlier and more primitive calculators.

One of the first "hand-held," but bulky, 4-function calculators was
produced by Canon in 1970. I'm sure it lacked operator precedence--it
had only "+=" and "-=" keys, instead of a separate "=" key. One year
later, the first true pocket calculator was produced by Bowmar, with
similar keypad.

HP's first scientific RPN-based pocket calculator, the HP-35, was first
sold in 1972.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Old September 2nd 03, 02:21 AM
Steven D. Litvintchouk

marcus hall wrote:
In article ,
G.Beat wrote:

What? No Bowman 4 function (my 1973 purchase) or TI-10 (or TI-11 with Pi
! )?
Started sophomore year (HS) with slide rule .... and used it only 1/2 time
senior year.

Wasn't it a "Bowmar brain"?? I seem to recall that in advertisements...

Yes, the Bowmar Brain was one of the first pocket calculators,
co-produced with Casio (IIRC) around 1970. Perhaps the gentleman
purchased a newer model in 1973.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: