ASTRO: Jones 1

Old October 12th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Jones 1

Not to be confused with Jones Emberson 1. I was surprised to find
nearly half the images turned up by Google that were labeled Jones 1
were really Jones Emberson 1. Google itself often also labeled the
image incorrectly even though it was right at the website but throwing
those out left nearly half the images being the wrong planetary. I've
also seen it called the Horseshoe Nebula. Indeed it looks like one in
short LRGB exposures like mine but longer exposure time and the use of
an OIII filter brings out that it really is a full oval with no open
end, just a fainter end. I see two blobs below it. The red one shows
in H alpha images taken with 3 nm filters showing it is H alpha not NII
light. I'm not sure if it is related to the nebula. There's another
blob to the west (right) of the H alpha blob that doesn't show on narrow
band images I looked at. Is it part of Jones 1? I find nothing on it.

In looking I find there's a rather odd quasar in the image. I've
pointed it out in the second image. Per NED it is a bit over 10 billion
light years from us. What's odd is that it isn't blue like so many are.
I originally though it to be the blue star just above it but the
location was wrong and it doesn't match the Simbad photometric data.
That shows it gets brighter the longer the wavelength. In blue light it
is 19th magnitude, 18th in red, 17th in J band IR and 16th in K band IR
per Simbad. Oddly Simbad says it is 20th in V (green) but gives no source.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JONES1LUM6X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	2224  Click image for larger version

Name:	JONES1LUM6X10RGB2X10X3-id.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2225
Old October 14th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

nice job Rick!

taking it at a lower image scale sure brightens it up compared to my image I
took two years ago at 0.41"/pixel

in that case it was all Halpha and [OIII] that I used

I have also shot JE1 as well as J1

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/jon...ao3o3_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/pk164_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/pk1...c_2x2_page.htm

to me that blob off to the left in my image is very intriguing. Loaded with
Halpha as faint planetaries go....

ster.com...

Old October 19th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful picture Rick. The central star has a nice colour contrast to the
two stars beneath it.

Stefan

ster.com...